Cattleya schroederae ('Dark Rose' x self) 4N? Keep?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is another of my Cattleyas that must compete for space. ‘Dark Rose’ is not an awarded cultivar but a reputable source told me it was considered tetraploid (4N) and a selfing of it should still be 4N.

IMG_2296.jpeg

This is the third time I have bloomed the plant, this time with three flowers. Largest flower is 12.5 cm horizontal. The dorsal and ventral sepals always curl backwards, so that if I hadn’t taken the picture a little bit looking up into the lip you wouldn’t even see the ventral sepals. From straight on, the flower is two petals and a lip with a short nubbin of a dorsal sepal.

I don’t really see the 4N in the plant or flower. I have looked at the 21 AOS awarded schroederae and the only thing of note I see with my flower is that it is darker in color than most. It is not larger or better configured than any.

When I add up the evidence I see a plant that should probably go away. It blooms at the same time as trianae, isn’t as nice or large as most of my trianae, has a nice fragrance that is different from trianae but I wouldn’t keep it just for fragrance. It isn’t a robust grower. I am sure there were many better plants from the cross, which is just how the genetic dice roll.

What am I missing?

sharoniae are known for their dorsal sepals flexing back. Not sure you would ever be able to match the form of trianae, that species has better form than other cattleyas.

Your flower does have a nice round feel to it and I do like the colors, especially on the lip. It also sounds like a consistent bloomer and 3 flowers is a fair count. Sharoniae blooms also last for a longer time than most cattleya species. I personally will always keep a blooming sized sharoniae in the collection just because I can count on it every year and because the blooms last… also the fragrance.

If you are not content with a plant, rotate it out. It’s difficult enough to let go of plants. Space is limited, and if you think you can hunt and find a better replacement, rotate it out of the collection but maybe after you find a superior clone.

A pouch? (This ST after all)

When you say compete for space, how many growths is it? Won’t the flower count go up with more growths? How many flowers is your goal? If it’s a good grower, I vote keep.
It is a five growth plant (inflorescence on the fifth growth). I have good information that flower size will improve with 6 growths and above. I think trying another year with good culture is a fair test.

I love the colors in the lip, but if it isn't earning space on your bench I hope you can find it a nice, new home!

Latest posts

Back