Paph.gigantifolium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me three!

And then someone gets it awarded as "legal" or "wink wink" and we have another mess on registrations. Oh, I know -- you are both being facetious.:evil:
It is simply not possible to have a bigger mess at registrations as there already it ...

It is simply not possible to have a bigger mess at registrations as there already it ...

I'd agree with that!

The Orchid Show priority is so much different from most foks growing or "conservation" priorities, I would not want to use the AOS or RHS registers for taxonomic purposes.

Hopefully people are succesful in raising them, and will breed them as they flower.

It is not a difficult plant if you give it enough water, humidity (in nature it is growing close to brooks) and keep it warm. It does not need the same light conditions as the other multis. You should give it relatively low light.

Eye candy!

Dark Warrior could not handle New Jersey. The stress was unbearable, and was suicidal after 2 months.
Thought my thumbs were greener. :eek:

It is not a difficult plant if you give it enough water, humidity (in nature it is growing close to brooks) and keep it warm. It does not need the same light conditions as the other multis. You should give it relatively low light.

My seedlings really went nuts after going to the sphag/basket system. Epsom salt spiking (or reducing potassium) was also very helpful.

Light levels about the same as for supardii or sanderianum.

It had been legal, and seedlings were sold by Sam Tsui. Then all of a sudden, USFW decided that a mistake was made, and the plants weren't legal after all...Sam got royally screwed.

It had been legal, and seedlings were sold by Sam Tsui. Then all of a sudden, USFW decided that a mistake was made, and the plants weren't legal after all...Sam got royally screwed.

The story is different in fact, even if Sam has been screwed definitely.

The plants were imported with a CITES export/import, including sanderianum. The sanderianum were indeed fresh wild plants (sent by Orchidwoods/ Au Yong Nang Yip of Kuching), shipped to Hawaii. The importer had to agree that ALL the plants from the shipment were from the wild, which canceled all the export/import CITES, that were deemed to be for art propagated plants. Then, the gigantifolium CITES has been canceled as well, making Sam motherplant and a few others illegal immediately. Sam bought from the importer with a copy of the CITES, but the importer had to give all of his customers address. Legally they were 'right', now it has been a mess because Sam propagated really that species...

The story is different in fact, even if Sam has been screwed definitely.

The plants were imported with a CITES export/import, including sanderianum. The sanderianum were indeed fresh wild plants (sent by Orchidwoods/ Au Yong Nang Yip of Kuching), shipped to Hawaii. The importer had to agree that ALL the plants from the shipment were from the wild, which canceled all the export/import CITES, that were deemed to be for art propagated plants. Then, the gigantifolium CITES has been canceled as well, making Sam motherplant and a few others illegal immediately. Sam bought from the importer with a copy of the CITES, but the importer had to give all of his customers address. Legally they were 'right', now it has been a mess because Sam propagated really that species...

Roth you keep amazing me with stuff you know about a lot of events that took place in the Orchidworld.

I'm curious how you obtained all this information.

Latest posts

Back