P. armeniacum fma album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W. Beetus

Reaction score
First bloom. I was told that the petals become curved when the bud develops in low humidity, which would explain why they look this way.

IMG_5247.jpg

Nice job blooming. I have to comment on the use of the white background though. I feel I'm not able to appreciate your hard work. I think the harshness of the background takes away from the details of the blooms. Which is what I think you're trying to capture in your photography.

Nice job blooming. I have to comment on the use of the white background though. I feel I'm not able to appreciate your hard work. I think the harshness of the background takes away from the details of the blooms. Which is what I think you're trying to capture in your photography.

Would you think that a black background would showcase the blooms better? I just used the white canvas because that's what I had available at the time.

About the name.
Eric was correct with the name markii, but it is forma markii., named in honour for Buddy Mark who lives now in California.

About the background. I prefer a dark background but it is also interesting, sometimes to see another one.

Best greetings

Olaf

About the name.
Eric was correct with the name markii, but it is forma markii., named in honour for Buddy Mark who lives now in California.

About the background. I prefer a dark background but it is also interesting, sometimes to see another one.

Best greetings

Olaf

Thanks Olaf! I will change the tag on it to reflect this.

In general I think a dark, neutral background works best. Leaving you with less picture manipulation needed in order to make your subject "pop out"

I disagree with the use of black backgrounds for concolor yellow or light green flowers. Black tends to create a contrast with these flowers that is just too strong for their color, and makes colors wash out when properly exposed. I do use black when I photograph white or near white flowers, because I feel that the lack of color or the specific tints of color present in a white flower is much more apparent on a black BG. Portrait spot lighting the BG may help with some of these issue, but most photographers don't have access to a smaller light (most don't even use off camera flash or other lighting).

I don't think that white is the right color BG either, also because contrast is difficult to achieve without proper front and profile lighting. Flowers always appear darker than they really are, white provides little edge detail in these concolor flowers.

I prefer grey, medium/dark green, or medium blue for these flowers. Grey provides a good neutral shade, improving contrast and making color & detail easier to evaluate. Green is complimentary to the color yellow, showing it off well. Blue is also a great color, especially for light green/chartreuse flowers, for similar reasons. The color of your light becomes critical when shooting on colored backgrounds, however, as tinting of the light will always occur as light is reflected onto the flower. Without question, proper color exposure in-camera is much preferred.

It is important to choose a color that is slightly darker than the green or yellow flower being photographed, as contrast is very important for portraiture. The Zone System develped by Ansel Adams is a good place to start looking at degrees of contrast and shades of grey. It is a good idea to think in shades of grey when shooting color. A properly exposed photo isn't always the best photo depending on your intent, but knowing proper exposure is. For more info about the Zone system, check out Ansel Adams' Exposure.

That's pretty deep for most folks, Brian. It (the zone system) was even difficult for many photography students to grasp.

That's pretty deep for most folks, Brian. It (the zone system) was even difficult for many photography students to grasp.

Sorry.... My wife tells me that when you ask me what time it is, I will tell you how to build a clock.:wink:

Latest posts

Back