A new grex flowering?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have what apparently is one of the first clones to flower of a hybrid that I can not find a name for. I have had it for only a couple of months and I purchased it in low bud.
The parents are Paphiopedilum Shin-Yi Williams x Paphiopedilum Chiu Hua Dancer. I am hoping that some one else has it. But so far, I can not find a registered name for the grex.
D7F8DE4D-656A-4C82-B494-876F5206CA43.jpegF47F272B-367B-4E74-B37A-57665A18FF90.jpegF1C0D11C-8066-4BBD-8807-9EC3B9898A3F.jpeg
I can describe it a bit further. It has good color, three flowers on a sturdy stem. Flowers just started opening on Saturday. I will repost measurements when they are fully open.
As of this moment, petal width at base is 1.5 cm., not a terribly large flower, dorsal is clearly marked becoming more so near the mid rib or center of the dorsal. Segment alignment is pretty good and I kind of enjoy the strawberry red color on the base of the pouch. This is visible in the last image that I included.
The petals on the first flower are nicely held and the pouch is pretty cool!
Hope you enjoy!!!

Hilo had a few of those on Ebay in bloom last year. Guess they never registered it. The ones I saw had medium length, drooping petals with lazy twisting. In fact the plant behind it in your pic looks more like the others lol.

Maybe it just has the wrong tag?! I can’t say for sure.
Oh yeah, the one behind it just came in 3 days ago. It is a bit wacky due to the shipping and packing. It too is another Shin-Yi Williams hybrid. It has 4 flowers and two other nearly mature growths.

Well my problem is, believe it or not, CHIPMUNKS! At least I think
It is chipmunks. Last year they got into my plants outdoors. At the time they got into my Phragmipediums and pulled all of the labels out of some 15 plants. Every single label!!
I spent months waiting for plants to bloom so I could finish putting new labels into the pots. I was able to recognize several the 15 and make up new tags. Other unknowns bloomed and got proper labels. I used my e-bay purchase record to help me to a certain degree.
Well this year they got into the strap leafed Paphiopedilum area. I have about 28 plants on that bench. Among them multiple Roth clones, more then one Prince Edward of York, a couple of Lady Isobels. So hence, another labeling challenge.
I have not acquired enough familiarity with what these guys look like so I can readily tell which is which. So to bottom line things, I have a small nightmare to deal with.
I apologize for confusion in advance but I hope to eventually be able to recall each and every purchase in order to get tags in the right pot.

It could be Blue Jay’s, Crows do not visit my yard, squirrels are never on this bench, but chipmunks do get up among the plants.
Bear with me.

Oh sorry Ozpaph, I see the label Paph. Dark Song. I have no idea if that is right.
Luckily I found about 22-24 labels. Some vendor labels and some white and pink ones which I added after repotting each and every new purchase. All plants had two labels each.
I found them on bench tops, lower shelves and on the ground. I hope to goodness I have found them all!

But I found only one image of Dark Song on line and it has a different stance. The on-line images seem to show a good deal of rose pink blush.
Mine seems to show more of a rothschildianum stance.

You are so right about that. That is an idea that I thought of but I got busy this spring and it slipped my mind. In the summer heat i do not want a project like that but I am doing that as I discover hopefully which plant is which. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on me again. I am keeping a Master List by my plant cart and on my computer.

The label on the pot I posted says Paph. Dark Song. Paph. Hsinying Anita x Paph. Shin-Yi Edward. At least those labels were found next to the pot. But it seems to be so Rothschildianum. If you blow up image #1, you can read the label.

At first I had posted it as Paph. Shin-Yi Willaims x Paph. Chiu Hua Dancer. But aside from a very slight twist to the ends of the petals, I don't think that that is right either!!! Maybe the chipmunks know?? But they are not talking!!!!! 🤪 🙃

Latest posts

Back