P. armeniacum fma album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some photographers who use white backgrounds

http://www.plantes-sur-fond-blanc.fr/liste_alpha_noms_latins.html

Yes, and these photos are stunning. If you read about the photographic technique, you will see what is involved. Their intent is to produce a "watercolor" look, and the lighting they use for this is very specific and difficult to achieve. Certainly within the grasp of anyone with more than a passing interest in photography, but not an easy technique.

On a more opinionated note, the photos that they produce are ethereal, almost surrealistic. My first thought was, "this has been photoshopped." It was only after reading that I understood how it was done. I find these photos appealing, but they are far from my style. And, quite honestly, I still don't find them great examples of detailed documentation of the subjects.

Yes, I read the technique 2 years ago. I read something about it on a magazine about Photography. And I took a look at the web site.

I know that it is not easy. And I am a black background addict. But I am sometimes tired of it.

Hello,

First, please excuse-me for my poor english speaking.

I am the author of pictures that you have seen on my web site www.plantes-sur-fond-blanc.fr.

I'd like to thank you for your appreciations of my work. And thanks to Brian Monk who gave all the explanations about it. Brian, I took a long look at your web site and your pictures are so nice. Great work ! :clap:

As we are in a forum speaking especially about orchids, I give you a precision. All my pictures are realized in studio except a few wild orchids I shooted. Even if the orchid species that I met are not absolutely protected by law, I did not wanted damaged them. So I took picture in nature and bring a portable mini studio to shoot the orchid "on his feet".

SlipperFan said:
Looks to me like they are trying to achieve the look of botanical drawings, but with photography.

Yes, it's absolutely true. In fact, the inspiration for me was the works of the famous watercoloriste PJ Redouté who painted vegetals potraits (essentially roses) almost always on white background.

Thank you again for your interest and I wish you a very happy new year and especially with... beautiful orchids. ;)

Thanks, jean-luc for your explanation here. Your images are beautiful and should be of use to anyone who want a visual description of the plants you have photographed.

And welcome to Slippertalk. I hope you'll post some more.

Back