Okay, I'm jinxing it.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wardii is about to flower, for the third time in two years.:evil:
That's great. :D I'll show my wardii your comment to let it know it has shamed me and made me appear to be a bad, bad wardii owner. Nothing inspires as much as a little guilt trip, right? :wink:

More jinxing! I just have to. :evil:

This is how my venustum is growing (the first picture was taken approximately a week ago, the second one today):

8164988557_23e17ee159_z.jpg

8165025354_ba3421e094_z.jpg

And my newest victim is my hainanense, picture taken today:

8164988009_33b3f48131_z.jpg

Anyone else dare to upload a picture of a growing spike/bud? :wink:

Wow! you're doing really well with your plants. thanks for sharing.
Dunno about that... Discovered yesterday that my hainanense has mealybugs! :sob:

I've started treating it, but I doubt that the spike will survive the treatment.

Oh, bother. :(

I hate when that happens.
It was not a pleasant surprise, that's for sure. I don't know if I've had mealybugs before, but I do know that I have seen one on one of my orchids earlier this year... I'm pondering if it wasn't on this guy actually, which could explain why it has grown so darn slowly! Luckily, I haven't found any mealybugs on any of my other chids, so it seems to be a very local infestation. :)

They should survive, just depends on the treatment. rub them off with alcohol (90%) and then treat w/ insecticides.
How about "very rough treatment"? I've treated the entire Paph with an alcohol/soap/water mix and removed all bugs I found (after bending apart the fans to be able to get them, and one fan was removed completely) as well as their eggs. It's now repotted (I did it to ensure the mealybugs weren't on the roots) and the spike is sad, sad, sad. I'll see if it perks up in a day or two, otherwise I think it's quite safe to say that it has blasted. Well, the most important thing is that my little hainanense survives. :eek:

Oh, yes, forgot. Thanks for your advice, but unfortunately I've run out of insecticides and don't have any money to buy more... So home remedies it is.

Sad little hainanense after rough treatment:
250147.orig.jpg

And just to test if I can jinx more than Paphs, here's a Phal in bud (Jennifer Palermo):
250140.orig.jpg

250139.orig.jpg

Hmmm, OK. Natural can work but I find mixing home remedies with man-made compounds is the best way to go.
And as soon as I can afford it, insecticide is going to be purchased. :wink:

Eric: You may be right regarding the spike on my hainanense. It has actually started perking up a bit! :D

Here's my venustum:
250268.orig.jpg

And my Jennifer Palermo:
250270.orig.jpg

I saw this thread awhile ago and have thus been doing my best to not make eye contact with my wardii aside from carefully watering it. The flower *should* be open in a day or two... I got it at Windy Hill early this year and will post a shot of it if it looks good.

My hainie is perfectly fine, thankyouverymuch (I'll pretend I didn't understand what you meant :wink: ) Eric and is recovering slowly but surely.

Here's a picture of it (My paph hainanense that is, nothing else):
8201788172_5e7f7e895b_z.jpg

And my venustum bud is still with us:
8200695257_62b542ebb8_z.jpg

And, finally, some more Jennifer Palermo:
8200691769_aa4834e1a2_z.jpg

8200692137_0ab8839425.jpg

I saw this thread awhile ago and have thus been doing my best to not make eye contact with my wardii aside from carefully watering it. The flower *should* be open in a day or two... I got it at Windy Hill early this year and will post a shot of it if it looks good.
Ah! You jinxed it! :rollhappy:

Okay, jinx - 3, Mutant - 0.

I nipped the spike on my hainanense yesterday 'cause it had started to turn yellow. I think my venustum will blast as well, cause it has stopped growing and has started to curl the bud towards the spike, as if it's going to open soon, but just like my wardii did, it doesn't open properly. And, also, like my wardii, it has gotten real far before starting to really stall.

They don't like me apparently and I have no idea why (except that I started this thread, seems to be enough reason). :sob:

I told you don't mock the jinx but you never listened!
Yeah, and it only targets Paphs considering my Phal opened its bud without problems. To be serious though, there's something lacking in my caring apparently, 'cause I refuse to believe it to be a coincidence that three Paphs in a row has blasted (think we can add a fourth to the list of victims soon) and I honestly don't believe they've blasted because of this thread. I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the fertilizer...

Back