C. Tiffin Bells 'Orchidglade' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
Registered by Diggelman in 1962 the cross is C. White Blossom x C. Bow Bells. The Orchidglade individual was awarded its first, 80 point AM to Jones & Scully in 1970 on a bloom with a NS of 16.5cm. Jones & Scully had the award upgraded to an 87 point AM in 1984 on an 18cm NS bloom. This is a virus-free division of the original plant from Waldor. This is my first time blooming it, since it blasted 3 buds last year. Two flowers open now, which smell heavenly, and have absolutely incredible substance - they look like they are carved out of heavy porcelain or ceramic. Not the best form on this flowering, the petals and sepals recurve quite a bit, but there was a brief period for a few days while it was opening when the form was incredible. NS would compare favorably with the 18cm award if the petals didn't curl quite so much. This is the only plant I've ever heard of from this cross, so there must not have been a lot of winners from the grex. The plant put out two successive growths this season, and the oldest is blooming now. Fingers crossed I can get a second flowering when the second growth finishes maturing. This plant is incredibly short and chunky and with the heavy substance of the flowers, I would suspect it is most likely a tetraploid.
aIMG_1344.jpgaIMG_1354.jpgaIMG_1405.jpg

Here is the form as the flower was opening up, before the petals curled back.
aIMG_0989.jpg

Congratulations! hope I have one some day.
In my opinion, one of the only real improvements on Bow Bells in a F1 offspring.
the other really good Bow Bells improvement to keep an eye out for is C.Lucille Small 'Marshall' FCC/AOS (Bow Bells x Dorthy Mackaill)

-Patrick

Congratulations! hope I have one some day.
In my opinion, one of the only real improvements on Bow Bells in a F1 offspring.
the other really good Bow Bells improvement to keep an eye out for is C.Lucille Small 'Marshall' FCC/AOS (Bow Bells x Dorthy Mackaill)

-Patrick
Yes, and it's quite compact, but even so my list of "wanted plants" far exceeds my available space...

Some interesting information you and others might not know, is that variety 'Orchidglade' came from Jones & Scully's remake of the grex.
They used (White Blossom 'Orchid Manor' HCC/AOS x Bow Bells 'Green Tag')

-Patrick

Some interesting information you and others might not know, is that variety 'Orchidglade' came from Jones & Scully's remake of the grex.
They used (White Blossom 'Orchid Manor' HCC/AOS x Bow Bells 'Green Tag')

-Patrick
Thanks for the additional info, always love to learn more about the history of these heirloom plants!

Latest posts

Back