Okay, I'm jinxing it.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't do this since it's almost like begging for the bud to blast, but I like its dark stripes so I HAVE to.

This will be my first Asendorfer bloomer (if the bud survives that is), my little Paph. wardii 'Darkwing' x self. I love the foliage on the plant and I really look forward to see its very first bloom (and I really hope it'll make it):

246375.orig.jpg

Question to all of you more experienced people; should I let the flower open and then nip it since it's a single growth plant? I've read that many do that to promote growth.

Looks promising!!!

Regarding your question, I think it is rather an objective rather a subjective issue. Knowing both aspects, choose wisely the one that suits you best ;)

Yay, an answer that's really no answer...:wink:
Well, it's a well grown growth so if it manages to bloom, maybe I should let it keep its flower.

Haha...!

I did not intend to confuse u more, but it is in the owner's intuition on how to read their plants and take appropriate action. I have left a flower on a 2 growth plant and died after blooming, but I have left a flower on a single growth plant and still lives (with a capsule on). I mean if you feel that the plant is strong enough (leaves and roots), then you could keep the flower for as long as the plant wants, but if not then cutting it off would do it good. On the other hand, if you have no idea of what is going on, then just keep the flower for a few days to enjoy it and then cut it. ;)

That's what I've learned to do. Unless the one growth is huge and very vigorous, I'll enjoy the flower for a couple days, photograph it, and then cut it off so energy goes to growth.

Hmm... And this is where my inexperience comes into play. I don't know if it's huge and/or vigorous, it has 10 leaves on this single growth, but they're not particularly large though. I haven't had it long enough to be able to tell whether it's vigorous or not, I got it and then it decided to bloom almost instantly.

Well, there's still plenty of time left, I guess, before I have to make any decisions about it. :)

Mine is in bud as well. just a little bit ahead of this one by probably 2 weeks.

Do you have a 'Darkwing' too? And is it a first time bloomer for you as well? If it is, you're the third person I know of that has the same clone/premiere bloomer as me. :D

Wow... :eek:

That's one cool wardii! If you're lucky yours will get more than one flower too.

Okay. That's it! I'm a believer now. Never post flower until it's open :(
Sucks! Happened twice already. First was my superbiens. Then second casualty is wardii :)

epUBMl.jpg

I had ("had" because I gave 1 away, it didn't die) two, single growth Paph. delenatii that I got from the same grower at the same time. I had them for three months and the both decided to bloom. One was just a few days behind the other. I thought I'd try an experiment. I would let one flower for as long as it liked and the other I would cut the bloom after a few days. What I concluded is that it didn't really make a difference. The both started new growths close to the same time. The one I cut the bloom on started one 10 days before the other delenatii. This is just one little experiment I did and your probably more experienced, and your plant and conditions may be different.

Edit: Ok, forgot to read the second page.

Latest posts

Back