Oak Hill Gardens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recieved some good news & some bad news this morning, regarding Oak Hill -
Hermann had a heart attack in the past 2 weeks. He seems to be doing well, thank goodness! Due to that Oak Hill will not be able to attend the IOS show the end of April.
Another orchid vendor is going to take over Oak Hill starting in June! :clap::clap: Greg didn't mention who, but they share the same physiology.
Shane Fletcher, former manager of Windsong, has a new start up - Orchid Origins. I'm assuming Windsong is out of business? We had emails bounced back early Jan. and phone calls ended with this number is no longer in service when we tried to contact them about our show. Shane will be taking over Oak Hill's spot at our show & it looks like he will be bringing some plants for them as well.
Stay tuned!

IHermann had a heart attack in the past 2 weeks. He seems to be doing well, thank goodness! Another orchid vendor is going to take over Oak Hill starting in June! Greg didn't mention who, but they share the same physiology.

I hope not! The same psychology or philosophy maybe..:eek:

we are all Homo sapiens, we all have the same physiology even if we can have opposite ideologies!

Rose, I talked with Greg this weekend at our show. It looks like the sale to someone in the Chicago area is nearing completion, and probably the Oak Hill name will remain. Greg said the new owner "is even more handsome" than he :poke: -- maybe that's what you mean by physiology? He also said they are thinking more about California than Texas.

Greg has the patience of a saint.
Don't know how he didn't lose it, while my wife picked out her ten seedlings.
Alot of work for a 30 dollar sale.

Aw c'mon Clark. Isn't that pretty much the "norm" for orchid buyers?

As a sometimes show vendor, I can tell you that it pays to also be an experienced orchid grower who has learned a thing or two about patience.

I hope the new vendor will keep the affordable prices and the unusual species... If they move to warmer climates would they start a new business?

:rollhappy::rollhappy: physiology. .....
just testing, you guys are paying attention!
I knew it wasn't right when I typed it, what can I say, I'm having one of those weeks!

Fellas, at three dollars a pop, I still think it is alot of work.
btw, Christine doesn't grow 'em, she only enjoys the flowers.

I had a thought about this "other vendor" taking over oak Hill. Could that be Arnold Klehm?

They had a massive fire that wiped them out pretty badly. Arnold had some recovering plants and flasks at the NCOS Paph Forum.

I asked him what he was planning to do, and he said he was thinking about reopening a single greenhouse, and possibly turning the rest of the property into a garden center...but he just wasn't sure yet.

Klehms has the same general plant species philosophy as Oak Hill, and the two locations are mighty close to each other...

I had a thought about this "other vendor" taking over oak Hill. Could that be Arnold Klehm?

They had a massive fire that wiped them out pretty badly. Arnold had some recovering plants and flasks at the NCOS Paph Forum.

I asked him what he was planning to do, and he said he was thinking about reopening a single greenhouse, and possibly turning the rest of the property into a garden center...but he just wasn't sure yet.

Klehms has the same general plant species philosophy as Oak Hill, and the two locations are mighty close to each other...

Is Arnold a youngish man? I got the impression from Greg that the person who was buying Oak Hill was younger than he -- But i could be wrong.

I had a thought about this "other vendor" taking over oak Hill. Could that be Arnold Klehm?..
I'd be rather surprised if it was Arnie, but time will tell, info like this is not let out until it's a signed deal.

...I asked him what he was planning to do, and he said he was thinking about reopening a single greenhouse, and possibly turning the rest of the property into a garden center...but he just wasn't sure yet.
The greenhouses & property are in Hampshire, out in the country/farmland area, it hasn't changed much over the years. I could see rebuilding a greenhouse & using the rest of the land for a garden center. Oak Hill use to be in the country/farmland area about 20 minutes away, Dundee. They are now surrounded by subdivisions & tons of retail shopping is 1/4-1/2 mile away, I hate to imagine what the real estate taxes have grown to.
..... the suspense continues!

Erich was my first thought as well. They always seem to vend at shows around here together. When I asked about the closing rumor, he told me they would stay on long enough to set up the new location, so I took that as the inventory and company name would be moving elsewhere.

Interesting. That would be an interesting "marriage" -- Eric is really into species, and Oak Hill has also been good at propagating species. If it's true, Eric must be very excited (and would explain why he hasn't answered an email I sent him a couple weeks ago!).

Latest posts

Back