Oak Hill Gardens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really!? I didn't see that coming. Too bad!!!!!

Just checked their facebook page and their website. No mention of going out of business. In fact, they've got shows booked into June and all seems normal. Maybe a rumour?

so sad, so disappointing .... I had heard back in Jan. but was hoping the mild winter would help them out. I can't imagine Chicagoland Growers Orchidfest without them.

Flashback

I'll never forget the first time I went to Oakhill (and never was the same again), and wanted to try Epicattleya Mae Bly. I saw it through a fenced in area, later learning those were the stud plants. Hey, I was a beginner in that paradise. Herman said, "Vold on . . " He went back to the blooming plant, knocked it out of the plant, took a division, potted and labeled it - end of coveting for the day. Who else would do that? What giving people!! Remember the decades of enjoying opening a box from them. It's like Christmas all year long !!!! Christmas monthly? Christmas bi-monthly? Yes, we all have a problem . .

Unfortunately, the US government has made exporting orchids so difficult that now, wonderful nurseries like Oakhill are suffering. At a time when the domestic hobbyist market is dwindling, you'd think that the government would think it's more important to ease up on the ridiculous amount of red tape and make it easier for companies to export their product.

When my greenhouse froze in 2008, I contacted Oak Hill when I was wanting to restock. However, they had given up doing exports because of the huge expense and trouble it had become. All I needed was the standard Phyto and CITES certificates; but, the USFW has made getting those documents about as easy as holding a snowflake on your tongue without it melting! Actually, the employee I dealt with at Oak Hill was fairly rude to me. I kept asking questions about their supply of the types I wanted, because I had it in mind to have the plants shipped to a third party in the USA; but, this person at Oak Hill wouldn't even give me the time of day once it was known that I was in Canada. Instead of answering my questions, I just received very curt, repeated replies that they don't export. Beyond telling me they wouldn't deal with me, I couldn't get anybody to answer my questions and help me put an order together for shipment within the USA.

I was kind of hurt because I'd been a repeat customer of theirs in the past and had, up to that point, held them in high esteem. Maybe they were just so upset and annoyed that the government was meddling with their business so much that they were cut off from the world market, that they couldn't help but be in a bad temper whenever a foreign customer approached them. So of course, I ended up spending my money elsewhere. I wonder how many other people around the world have been chased away and how much of an effect that has had on OakHill's bottom line? A reputable company like Oak Hill that sells a wide range of high quality plants should've been able to do very well if the government had made it easy for them to sell to the world and not forced them to stick to trying to survive on domestic sales only. In this age of globalisation and a global economy, it makes no sense at all for any government to create a bureaucracy that is so overbearing, problematic and self-serving that it's killing home grown businesses by making it impossible for them to operate effectively and expand into new markets. Shame on the ignorant, self-important, paper pushing bureaucrats! They are destroying free enterprise!

I think demand for orchids from true enthusiasts is dropping, and the primary household market is saturated by Taiwanese imports.

American growers can't compete with this dwindling market with both the cheap labor and energy costs of the Taiwan establishments.

The cost of land/rent is also astronomical in the areas of the US that have good weather to cut down on energy costs. Large growers in S Florida would get squeezed out by developers wanting the land for condos and retirement homes. Even if you own the property outright, local governments will raise property taxes thru the roof to squeeze out the small scale agri operations.

It's always sad to see Orchid nurseries close their doors.

Only a week ago I was pressent at the clearance sale of the remains of a private collection what once was a quite sizeable orchid nurserie. :(

I wouldn't be too surprised if the cost of heating the greenhouses isn't part of the equation.

George Houserman (EFG in Deland FL) told me they spent over $200,000 to heat in Chicago.

Very sad to see this.. they have always been nice, and had excellent plants and prices. ..about the cost of winter heating, I remember when I was told that by cleaning a thin film of soot from the inside tubes of our steam heat boilers, that this could save $10,000 , though I don't know if that was for a week, month or winter.

As far as I know, the annual Chicagoland Orchidfest will continue on, albeit without Oak Hill. Hausermann's is certainly large enough to accomodate all guest growers who get impacted by Oak Hill's closing. Our Naperville greenhouse will also be open that weekend, but only for those customers picking up pre-ordered plants.

I may place an order with them. I am a bit broke, but maybe 30 / 40 bucks will help them. But I wonder if it is true, I have not read this anywhere else. Or I wonder if they got a good offer for their land (if they own it). Sad news as they always had interesting species at prices that were affordable. I noticed in the recent months their catalog got smaller and smaller.

stefano

I may place an order with them. I am a bit broke, but maybe 30 / 40 bucks will help them. But I wonder if it is true, I have not read this anywhere else. Or I wonder if they got a good offer for their land (if they own it). Sad news as they always had interesting species at prices that were affordable. I noticed in the recent months their catalog got smaller and smaller.

stefano
I understand it was a family decision, and that they are moving to Texas. At least, that's what I heard.

Latest posts

Back