Neofinetia ranking question(s)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Papaholic

Greetings neofinetia collectors.
I was curious to know, now that I actually saw a neo ranking chart ( I bought a copy of Jason Fischer's article in Orchid Digest where I saw it- Highly recommended article), what are the 9 highest ranked Noes?
I assume that with the big dogs it probably does not change too much from year to year.
I know they are expensive and I probably will not be able to afford one but I am really curious to know which varieties they are and if they share any common characteristics such as all being bean leaf types, or all being variegated, etc..
If anyone knows about the current or past top Neos I would love to learn more about each of them.
Thanks,
Papaholic

I haven't seen a current chart for 2 or 3 years now so I can't tell you which ones are currently the nine highest ranked varieties. I believe Fukiden pretty much always ranks at #1 or close to it. New World Orchids is currently offering a three growth plant of Fukiden (leaves have yellow marginal variegation with green centers) for $1590 USD. A single growth Fukiden plant online, if you can obtain it, might cost you around $1000 USD. Other heavy hitters on the chart include Suisen, Mangetsu, Kinbotan, Beniougi, Maizuru, Benkeimaru, Keiga and Homeiden. Prices vary widely.

Common characteristics would be uniqueness and rarity. Some are variegated, some are bean leaf and so forth. All aspects of Neofinetia falcata plants are noted and appreciated such as the color of the root tips, the texture, color, width, shape, curve, pattern and habit of variegation of the leaves, and the shape of the tsuke including the straight line, the curve/month/moon, the mountain, and the ocean wave. Differences in the color and shape of the flowers are appreciated too.

A single growth Suisen plant (a special bean leaf) with a leafspan of about 1.75 to 2 inches max with 7 leaves will currently set you back $1000 USD. Homeiden has come down somewhat in price, and you can really get a bargain if you buy a small seedling from a selfing of Homeiden. It will only cost you $150 USD, and if you're lucky it might turn out to be as good as a division of the real thing.

I gave away a small (2 - 3 growth) Mangetsu plant in 2008 to a friend of mine since the plant didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Sometimes a plant just leaves me feeling cold or it doesn't perform well for me so I give it away. :eek: There are many varieties I have tried and disliked...but many more that I have tried and fallen in love with. :p

Currently some of the better varieties in my collection include Homeiden, Kinkounishiki, Manjyusahge, Seikai, Unkai, Ouzanomai, Hanakanzashi, Sobiryu, Kinginrasha, Kinkosei, Tensho, Hisui, and Tosamidori. Certainly not all of these are top ranking plants, but many of them do appear on the Meikan chart. I have many other varieties as well. None of them seem to satisfy my craving for more. :drool: My wish list is long and it includes a nice Manazuru, Beniougi, Hanamatoi, Kokuryu, Gokousei, Suisen, and Shigyoku. :evil:

I recently received the 2009 and 2010 charts but I can't translate any of the names into Japanese, sorry. I don't know if they all share a common characteristic but I think many of them are variegated and have ruby roots.

I recently received the 2009 and 2010 charts but I can't translate any of the names into Japanese, sorry. I don't know if they all share a common characteristic but I think many of them are variegated and have ruby roots.

:poke:

:poke: Okie dokie, go at it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/constant_gardener/4479410492/sizes/l/

I think....
Gold box on the left hand top corner is Ooemarushima.
Gold box in the middle of top row is Fuukiden.
Gold box on top row right hand side is Kinbotan.
5th white box counting from left on top row is Botan-nishiki.
6th white box counting from left on top row is Higuma.
3rd white box counting from right on top row is Kinkirin.

Ones in gold boxes are very expensive. Ones in white boxes on top row, only people like Oprah can afford.

I thought Jason said the current year's Meikan is not available until May of that year. However, Satomi said the chart in the flickr link above is the 2010 chart. So anyways, as far as I know, the chart above is the most current Meikan.

Ones in gold boxes are very expensive. Ones in white boxes on top row, only people like Oprah can afford.

:rollhappy: Wellllll....maybe one does not require the full wealth of Oprah to afford them :p but yes, they tend to be quite expensive in that top row of white boxes.

I think... the top row far right white box is Koto-nishiki, next to it in the top row in the second white box counting from the right side toward the center is Haku-botan, the fourth white box counting from the right toward the center on top row might be Suiho, the fourth white box in the top row counting from the left side toward the center is Kinkaku...I think these are correct...but I could be wrong. I'm still working on it. :p

Thanks for sharing that chart with us Tracy! :drool:

:poke: Okie dokie, go at it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/constant_gardener/4479410492/sizes/l/

I think....
Gold box on the left hand top corner is Ooemarushima. :clap:
Gold box in the middle of top row is Fuukiden. :clap:
Gold box on top row right hand side is Kinbotan. :clap:
5th white box counting from left on top row is Botan-nishiki. :clap:
6th white box counting from left on top row is Higuma. :clap:
3rd white box counting from right on top row is Kinkirin. :clap:

I thought Jason said the current year's Meikan is not available until May of that year. However, Satomi said the chart in the flickr link above is the 2010 chart. So anyways, as far as I know, the chart above is the most current Meikan.

Tracy, you did good. So did you, Lanmark

Top Left white box from left.

Kongodakara, Hanamatoi, Nishiki-ori, Kinkaku, Higuma.

Top Right white box from right.

Koto-nishiki, Hakubotan, Kinkirin, Suihou, Kohakuden, Hanakanzuki.

Let me know if you want to know MORE. :D

Thank you all so much for this information.
The more I am learning from these discussions the more I am suprised at the quantity of varieties that exist for the Neofinetia. Add to that the differences each plant has ( some subtle- others extreme) and all within the same species! [ I may go broke folks!!!]
I do have an off topic (E-Z question) for anyone who cares to answer.
My first neo bloomed today ( 3 of 4) buds are open on my Benisuzume. I can't begin to describe the fragrance other than it's wonderful! But....How long do the flowers last on these plants? Or does it vary from neo to neo?
Now I cannot wait till the others bloom.
If I can purchase my camera soon I will post some pics and see what you all think. I was hoping for a better flower count but I think that will come with a larger mature plant.
How many flowers does a Benisuzume typically make per growth anyway?
Thanks again for the chart replies and sorry for digressing here but I'm just so excited about these little plants that it is hard to contain my enthusiasm at times.
Papaholic

Tracy, you did good. So did you, Lanmark
Let me know if you want to know MORE. :D

Thanks! :)

I want as many translations as you care to provide, but I don't want to be greedy about it either. :clap: :eek:

Hanamatoi is high on my wish list. Shigyoku is another. :drool:

Hey Papaholic,

The number of flowers you'll get per growth will vary depending on the size of the overall plant. The more growths, the more flowers generally speaking. For that reason, don't break clumps up unless they get truly unmanageable size. 'Benisuzume' is easy to flower and grow, so likely you can have a nice size plant with a few years. Under really good conditions the flowers might last a couple weeks.

Regarding the ranking system and how many fuukiran have been officially accepted - don't concern yourself with it too much. Think about what you like most - colored flowers? aberrant flowers? variegation? colored root tips? leaf shape? and so on.

You also need to consider price, especially if you're buying outside of Japan where prices can be back breaking. Here are some good ones to start with IMO, both for form and relative affordability:

Colored flowers - Shutennou, the cheapest Kibana you can find (they're all hybrids anyways, so don't spend too much), Hisui, Benisuzume

Variegated leaves - Tenkeifukurin (Gogyofukurin is fine too), Orihime, Nishidemiyako, Akebono, Asahiden

Tiger leaves - Kinroukaku, Kishusekko

Bean leaves - Tamakongou, Kinkujyaku

Rasp leaves - Kujyakumaru

Odd flowers - Shunkyuuden, Hoshiguruma, Kinboshi (nice tiger leaves too), and if you can find them, Tenshin and Soubiryu

Odd flowers and leaves - Seikai, Unkai, Kinginrasha (leaves and flowers are rasp type), Kutsuwamushi, Suikaden, Kuroshinjyu

And one more, Onamiseikai

These are a good place to start. The top of this list would be Seikai, Kuroshinjyu, Shunkyuuden, Tamakongou, Tenkeifukurin, Nishidemiyako, Shutennou and Hisui. There are other great ones, but they are harder and more expensive to get.

Beware some of the mericloned plants (sometimes called "seedlings" by vendors) since they can't all be guaranteed to be true to form. The best example of this are the Manjyushage coming on the market now. Most are untested mericlones that could end up with very ordinary flowers. Buyer beware!

Are you planning to sell your car? Can't touch one of these in Japan for less than $2000-$3000 for a 2-3 growth plant!

:rollhappy: I would hope my car would sell for more than that! :p

I have purchased some very expensive Neo plants in the past. While spending a few thousand on a single plant isn't the norm for the majority of the plants in my collection, it's certainly not out of the question.

Hey Papaholic,

The number of flowers you'll get per growth will vary depending on the size of the overall plant. The more growths, the more flowers generally speaking. For that reason, don't break clumps up unless they get truly unmanageable size. 'Benisuzume' is easy to flower and grow, so likely you can have a nice size plant with a few years. Under really good conditions the flowers might last a couple weeks.

Regarding the ranking system and how many fuukiran have been officially accepted - don't concern yourself with it too much. Think about what you like most - colored flowers? aberrant flowers? variegation? colored root tips? leaf shape? and so on.

You also need to consider price, especially if you're buying outside of Japan where prices can be back breaking. Here are some good ones to start with IMO, both for form and relative affordability:

Colored flowers - Shutennou, the cheapest Kibana you can find (they're all hybrids anyways, so don't spend too much), Hisui, Benisuzume

Variegated leaves - Tenkeifukurin (Gogyofukurin is fine too), Orihime, Nishidemiyako, Akebono, Asahiden

Tiger leaves - Kinroukaku, Kishusekko

Bean leaves - Tamakongou, Kinkujyaku

Rasp leaves - Kujyakumaru

Odd flowers - Shunkyuuden, Hoshiguruma, Kinboshi (nice tiger leaves too), and if you can find them, Tenshin and Soubiryu

Odd flowers and leaves - Seikai, Unkai, Kinginrasha (leaves and flowers are rasp type), Kutsuwamushi, Suikaden, Kuroshinjyu

And one more, Onamiseikai

These are a good place to start. The top of this list would be Seikai, Kuroshinjyu, Shunkyuuden, Tamakongou, Tenkeifukurin, Nishidemiyako, Shutennou and Hisui. There are other great ones, but they are harder and more expensive to get.

Beware some of the mericloned plants (sometimes called "seedlings" by vendors) since they can't all be guaranteed to be true to form. The best example of this are the Manjyushage coming on the market now. Most are untested mericlones that could end up with very ordinary flowers. Buyer beware!
KyushuCalanthe,
You have certainly given some excellent recommendations.
I thought you may want to comment or give your opinion on two plants I am seriously interested in. The first ( much more affordable) is Jyukai which I understand is exactly like Seikai but with all white flowers ( Unkai was also a consideration), and the other was Maizuru. After I saw the picture on the cover of Orchid Digest ( Neo Issue) I was WOW'ed by it.
Do you or any one else have any thoughts on these [ Jyukai, Unkai, and Maizuru]?
Obviously Maizuru would be the rarest but any comments on the flower colors, ease of blooming, growth rate, desireability of the plant, etc concerning those three would be greatly appreciated
Papaholic

...but any comments on the flower colors, ease of blooming, growth rate, desireability of the plant, etc concerning those three would be greatly appreciated
Papaholic

I'm not KyushuCalanthe but my experience with Unkai has been very good. I believe it would be the fastest growing of the three and also the one which will most readily bloom.

Papaholic, sorry for the late response. I only grow Unkai and I too have found it to be easy to grow and a good flowerer (is that a word?). Sekai by comparison is much more stingy, but an awesome plant. I know nothing of Jyukai, not even seen one in person, so I cannot comment. Maizuru is very nice, but a slow grower and no doubt not cheap either. That one that Jason took a pic of was exceptionally well grown - not an easy task and SLOW going.

Has anyone here seen any variegated, screw leaf varieties or owns one? Apparently, they exist. Somewhere. I've never pictures of any yellow + green ones. I've only seen the one in the Neo dictionary with similiar shape to Naniwajishi and has variegation like Akebono.

Has anyone here seen any variegated, screw leaf varieties or owns one? Apparently, they exist. Somewhere. I've never pictures of any yellow + green ones. I've only seen the one in the Neo dictionary with similiar shape to Naniwajishi and has variegation like Akebono.

I haven't seen anything like that, Tracy. I did find a link online to a photo of Tatsuhoko-no-shima 龍鉾の縞 but I can't see much variegation. Perhaps it will develop more variegation over time. http://fuukiran.seesaa.net/pages/user/search/?keyword=%97%B4%96g%82%CC%8E%C8

#7 on this page appears to be tiger variegation and corkscrew: http://www8.ocn.ne.jp/~ftgogo/fuuranrusuto.html

I'll follow up if I find any more. :)

Last edited:

Yes, the Meikan you show in your pic is the current year's Meikan. The way to tell for any of them (and for other 'official' Japanese documents) is to look for the year-of-reign designation on it. The pic you took cut out the borders/margins, but if you look again at your actual Meikan you will see in the top right margin, starting from the top, 平成 = Heisei (the era name of the current emperor Akihito) followed by the kanji for twenty-two. This is year Heisei 22 = 2010. (a useful explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisei_period) [Yes, I am looking at my copy of the Meikan]

BTW the left margin of a Meikan gives valuable info - the varieties that were accepted for registration that year (three for 2010) and which will therefore appear at the right end of the second row in the following year's Meikan, enclosed in purple-lined boxes within the row. (So the three you see in the purple-lined boxes in this year's (2010) Meikan were in the left margin of last year's (2009) Meikan. Since you say you have last year's Meikan, do take a look and compare the two.

Latest posts

Back