F.C. Puddle X Greyi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbud

Orchid Maniac
Reaction score
I am new here and to Paph's in general as most of you know. I saw this on Ebay after reading an article in Orchids Digest by Hadley Cash and how he started in the '80's with some paph descendants of F.C. Puddle. I bid on it (min.) thinking it was probably a popular plant and that I wouldn't get it. Wrong. I guess nobody wants these anymore and after winning and looking up the grex realized these have been around since the 1800's. :poke: Hello! Well I'm one of those who has to learn everything the hard way. But I do love the bloom and really am excited to get it and it's still in bloom. I was wondering what you all think about Hadley Cash and all his complex crosses over the years?

FCPuddleXGreyi.jpg

Puddle1.jpg

I don't really care for complexes but some of the old ones like F.C. Puddle are very beautiful. It is very much surprising that it has taken so long to couple Greyi with F.C. Puddle.:confused: In any case, I find this one lovely.

This cross is an unregistered cross. The cross using Greyi that I think you might be referring to is Paph White Legacy which is Silver Anniversary x Greyi which Hadley Cash has used as his foundation for a new generation of white and pink complex breeding.

What has been around since the 1800's is Paph Greyi, which was first registered in 1888. It has been remade many time since and is still a wonderful cross.

While I can't speak for the person who originated this cross, FC Puddle x Greyi, one possible reason the cross was made was to try to make another breeding plant similar to Skip Bartlett 'White Pepper' HCC/AOS (godefroyae x FC Puddle), which has been a great parent in white complex breeding. Unfortunately, the attempt is likely doomed to failure. What made and still makes Skip Bartlett 'White Pepper' such a great parent (in addition to its ability to supress yellow/green pigments) is the fact that it is a tetraploid, which allows it and its progeny to breed well with other complex Paphs. Even though this cross may not produce great breeder plants, it can still produce nice, white flowers of small to medium size.

While your flower is not perfect form wise, the plant looks healthy and vigorous, and should produce pretty flowers for many years to come. Nice purchase!:clap::clap::clap:

Lovely plant, and I agree that was a good purchase! Especially since you got a great Ebay price.

As for Hadley, I consider him a friend and enjoy speaking with him about his plants. His greenhouse is a treat to visit! :D
He is speaking at the NH Orchid Society in October...thinking I'll ahve to save my pennies for some division purchases!

Last edited:
Yeah I agree. The picture of the bloom is not the bloom on the plant. I don't think. Thank you all for the great comments and encouragement. I went back to Hadley Cash's site and paying more attention realized he uses F.C. Puddle in almost all his Pink/White crosses. Then I did a google on just F.C. Puddle and it looks more exactly like the picture of the plant with the wavy sepal/pedals not the straighter form in the picture of the bloom. So I recon it's supposed to look like that. And looking at GReyi is where it gets straightened out and the speckles. It's amazing to me, the newcomer, how the traits of the two are intermingled in the cross. I can definitely see both in the cross. Kewl! I'm sure that doesn't happen all the time but it seem to work out this time. T.C.

Actually, it looks more like a straight F.C. Puddle to me. I'd have expected more Greyi influence in the shape and a smaller plant size if it was (F.C. Puddle x Greyi). You might email Hadley to ask if it's possible.

Last edited:
Tom - I contacted Hadley and sent him the pictures above plus new ones of the plant I received. His comment: "Dear Jack,
I am relatively certain that the plant you have is FC Puddle x Greyi. It is definitely not straight FC Puddle. Your seedling didn’t get the fuller form it could have for this cross, but it got a number of other qualities I’d expect".
I appreciate your opinion and as I'm am new at this it's all a learning experience and I'm pretty much at all your disposals. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back