General Beginner Neofinetia Questions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On that note...I have plenty of reference material for Paphs but does anyone know of or can recommend any Neofinetia publications? I searched but did not find much in the way of dedicated titles to this particular variety. It would be nice to own a few copies of books that I can reference for descriptions, varieties, etc.
Papaholic
P.S. I can say that I'm Nuts with Roths!!!
It's really not a big community. That's why it's so hard to find books or reference material in English. I'm a big fan of Paphs too but I got into the neos first. There's a book that NWO sells for around $50 that has pics of 315 varieties. It's all in Japanese though. However, Glenn had his translator make a list of names in the book translated into English. Some of the other Japanese reference books have English names next to the plant but the rest of the material in the books is in Japanese. I only know of 3 articles/ publications written in English.

1)article by Jack E. Craig in AOS Bulletin Feb 1971
2)book by Thomas Mulhollan
3)Jason's article in Orchid Digest Vol 70-2

I believe T. Mulhollan wrote another article in OD about Neos also. It was in vol. 68-3, I think but not positive. There could be other stuff out there in English but I haven't come across it yet.

If you're looking for culture info, I found that the Bakers sheet on neos and the article from Jack Craig was most helpful.

Well I see that there are Neofinetia addicts coming out of the woodwork. From what I see, it appears to be a pretty big community.
I think I sent some info to lanmark about someone who was trying to start a Neo society here in the states. I've not followed up, have you, Mark?

Are there any other Paph people like me who are also into, or starting into Neofineia's?
Thanks to Mark, my "collection" went from 7 to 14, almost overnight! Plus a few hybrids.

I have a small collection. I have an Amami Island (from Longwood last year) . I also got a seedling from Troy Meyers. I just got some from Satomi,
Hanagoromo 1 gr, 3 babies with white/yellow leafs
2 Furan 1 with 2 spikes 4 growths ea.
Amaminomai 3 growths 2 babies
Hisui about 10+ growths
Tamakongou x Oonamiseikai 4 growths

I can't wait for the blooms to start.

I think I sent some info to lanmark about someone who was trying to start a Neo society here in the states. I've not followed up, have you, Mark?

:eek: I haven't either, Dot. :eek: I've been so busy that I can't seem to get anything done. Oh wait, I did manage to get switched over to CMH lighting. :)

more questions for the experts

I figure since I already started this thread I can post some additional questions here for fellow Neo enthusiasts.
I've become more attuned to the prices for Neofinetias and actually they don't shock me at all considering a high quality Roth, Sanderianum, etc.. all command similar prices (in the hundreds) with awarded divisions commanding much more.
However... Do awarded Neos carry the huge premiums that Paphs do?
For example a good single growth Malipoense is near 50$ while an awarded division can be easily 500+.
The other part to my question on neos is what makes an "award quality" neo?
I read that a lot has to do with presentation but I'm sure there are other critical measures as well. I ask so that I know how to select higher quality plants for my next purchase. What do the rest of you folks look for when buying a selected variety? (I hope that's not a stupid question...)
Thanks again for all the informative replys.
Papaholic
P.S. Talk of a US neo society seems like a great idea.
Anyone in the greater Chicago area by chance??

If this is same seller we used from California, caution on shipping with this vendor, he/she will ship on Thursday and Friday, which means my plants sat in a icebox warehouse over weekend. Have feeling one is not going to make it. This was after -Please don't ship till Monday.
Don't pay till Saturday afternoon. Warm weather folks- no worries.

Maybe I sneezed a little early, assuming 25/18F was a bit to cold to be w/o heat pack.
Plant in question is pushing out at least 3 new roots, and leaves feel 'not floppy' any more. Much more hardy than I assumed.

Maybe I sneezed a little early, assuming 25/18F was a bit to cold to be w/o heat pack.
Plant in question is pushing out at least 3 new roots, and leaves feel 'not floppy' any more. Much more hardy than I assumed.

They are indeed very hardy little plants. :) Although these shipping issues with this particular seller do concern me, I have to admit I've not lost any plants due to bitter cold/subfreezing weather during times of shipping. :clap: Overall I am a very satisfied customer. :)

To answer Papaholic, I would have to say "I don't know" in regards to your question about the pricing of awarded Neos. Awarded Neos in USA are few and far between as far as I know. Being awarded may very well impact the price of a plant, but I think the rarity of a variety, its position/ranking on the annual Meikan chart, the maturity/size/condition of the plant in question and whether it is a division, clone or seedling of the registered named variety will have much more influence on its price than any history of being awarded.

I say this because, all things being relative, many Neos are already very expensive. I can't imagine someone charging $5000 instead of $500 for a nice-sized 'Unkai' plant just because it had been awarded. They might charge $750, $1000, or maybe even $1500 for "an otherwise $500 plant", but I think a tenfold increase in price is unlikely. I wouldn't pay any such extra premium anyway unless 1) I was purchasing the entire original plant which had been very recently awarded or a division of it which had been grown to comparable quality, size and condition as the original awarded parent plant and could therefore be considered as being an exceptionally nice specimen, or 2) the award was particularly prestigious, maybe even having been earned at an especially famous venue and the documented recipient had been someone famous or well-known with prestige within the community of orchidists, or 3) the plant had some consistently special feature above and beyond other plants of the same variety, a feature or set of features such as larger flower size, deeper flower color, more flowers per spike, higher than average frequency of blooming, improved vigor, better than average variegation and so forth. Even these things, however, could easily be the results of very good culture by the grower (including factors such as altitude, better than average lighting or a unique fertilizer system) rather than being the products of genetic superiority of the plant in question. Again, I would be hesitant to pay the higher price unless I was specifically looking for a particularly beautifully grown specimen plant. To anyone who thinks differently: please feel free to correct me on this if you feel I am wrong.

I also believe, in the case of 'All Nippon-registered' varieties, good culture, form and presentation would be most important when showing a plant in hopes of garnering an award.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back