My First Fairieanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Awwww congrats!!!

No matter how she goes, you will love it like no other! She's your first!

Paphluvr

Reaction score
Dorsal looks dark. It tends to be a consistant species, don't know that I've ever seen a really bad one. Also, it's one of my favorite Paphs. Congratulations!

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
does look dark
The cross is 'Mini Red' x 'Red Hot Fire'. Bought it at Deep Cut last year. Almost positive it came from Marlow. The species has always reminded me of the gold-gilt headdresses in the musical "The King and I." Those up-turned petals and the shape of the hood. That can't be an accident. Art imitating life.
It's been utterly unproblematic for me, and a pretty little plant, to boot.

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Just Do It! <nike> :)
I have some 2 years out of flask. Orchid Zone breeding, “Porky’s” x “Pink Perfect,” they spent a year too long in flask and were leggy coming out but two years later they are mostly separated into single or 2-plant compots and looking strong so far. I hope for first bloom next winter.

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
It looks to me like it’s going to be great! Plant looks stellar and thank you for showing it! Can’t wait to see the updates!
That's so nice of you to say. Thank you!

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I have some 2 years out of flask. Orchid Zone breeding, “Porky’s” x “Pink Perfect,” they spent a year too long in flask and were leggy coming out but two years later they are mostly separated into single or 2-plant compots and looking strong so far. I hope for first bloom next winter.
Good luck! Hope to see some pictures later on. A flask of these would be so cool.

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
It looks to me like it’s going to be great! Plant looks stellar and thank you for showing it! Can’t wait to see the updates!
Thank you! I love the plant just for itself, so delicate and pretty. And there's another growth very well along behind the blooming one.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
It looks very promising to me and I'm waiting on the flower update !

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to be in full form now. Reasonably pleased, not ecstatic. Will see how it does next time. The stem is about 12-13" from top of pot.

Fairrieanum2.jpg

Last edited:

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Not bad color.

The dorsal is pinched. Maybe better next blooming since only first bloom.

Still, great job to bloom a fairrieanum!

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Not bad color.

The dorsal is pinched. Maybe better next blooming since only first bloom.

Still, great job to bloom a fairrieanum!
Thank you! I thought so too, about the dorsal. I really wanted this sort of evaluation. It's also nodding - is that normal for the species? I tied the stem to beyond vertical and I still had to shoot up. The pedicel seems excessively long. I see what you mean by natural light. Smartphones seems to compensate rather well for what would seem to be low lighting. I think I learned to spell it correctly too! :)