My First Fairieanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does look dark
The cross is 'Mini Red' x 'Red Hot Fire'. Bought it at Deep Cut last year. Almost positive it came from Marlow. The species has always reminded me of the gold-gilt headdresses in the musical "The King and I." Those up-turned petals and the shape of the hood. That can't be an accident. Art imitating life.
It's been utterly unproblematic for me, and a pretty little plant, to boot.

Just Do It! <nike> :)
I have some 2 years out of flask. Orchid Zone breeding, “Porky’s” x “Pink Perfect,” they spent a year too long in flask and were leggy coming out but two years later they are mostly separated into single or 2-plant compots and looking strong so far. I hope for first bloom next winter.

I have some 2 years out of flask. Orchid Zone breeding, “Porky’s” x “Pink Perfect,” they spent a year too long in flask and were leggy coming out but two years later they are mostly separated into single or 2-plant compots and looking strong so far. I hope for first bloom next winter.
Good luck! Hope to see some pictures later on. A flask of these would be so cool.

It looks to me like it’s going to be great! Plant looks stellar and thank you for showing it! Can’t wait to see the updates!
Thank you! I love the plant just for itself, so delicate and pretty. And there's another growth very well along behind the blooming one.

It seems to be in full form now. Reasonably pleased, not ecstatic. Will see how it does next time. The stem is about 12-13" from top of pot.

Fairrieanum2.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad color.

The dorsal is pinched. Maybe better next blooming since only first bloom.

Still, great job to bloom a fairrieanum!

Thank you! I thought so too, about the dorsal. I really wanted this sort of evaluation. It's also nodding - is that normal for the species? I tied the stem to beyond vertical and I still had to shoot up. The pedicel seems excessively long. I see what you mean by natural light. Smartphones seems to compensate rather well for what would seem to be low lighting. I think I learned to spell it correctly too! :)

Latest posts

Back