Live from Tokyo

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a hobbyist, there is 12 plants rule, I believe. So if you are carrying <=12 plants with you, and if you are going through one of 15 designated airports, which can inspect plants, you don't have to have the import permit as long as the vendor can provide phytosanitary certificate and CITES export permit. You do have to declare it at the custom. Well, import permit (PPQ-587) for non-commercial use is free, but it takes >1 month to get it.

see 3rd question in this APHIS FAQ.

I have never done it, and in reality, there could be complication as John indicated, but this could make it easier in case you are traveling abroad and see a couple orchids which you gotta have. APHIS rule seems to change quite a bit, but Alfonso Doucette (Pleuro systematist) successfully used this rule recently to bring back a couple orchids to the US through Miami customs (it was discussed in FB "The Pleurothallid Alliance" group). I contacted APHIS office about CITES App. 1 plants (Paphs), but I didn't hear back from them. I wonder if this 12 plant rule works with Paphs.

I don't believe this works for paph species. I am no expert though. I have the import paperwork. They consider paph species endangered.

Thanks John and Naoki. I was just curious. Would love to go to a show like this someday, but not sure about trying to bring back plants.

I don't believe this works for paph species. I am no expert though. I have the import paperwork. They consider paph species endangered.

Thanks, I'll try to confirm it when I get time. But they are very slow to respond...

All orchids are under CITES Appendix 2, but Paphs, Phrags and a couple others are in Appendix 1 (the same category as the Giant Panda). So this can make it more difficult. For example, for other Appendix 2 orchids, we can legally import small amount of seeds using "Small Lot of Seed rule" without phytosanitary cert. or CITES export permit (you only need free PPQ-587). So it is a very nice way to trade internationally among hobbyists. But for App. 1 plants, CITES exemption for seeds doesn't work.

Latest posts

Back