Masdevallia Electric Purple

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's unusual that I have a masdevallia that's alive, and also has a flower that I can show here! Of course, it came from the free flowering orchid raffle at the STOS (Southern Tier Orchid Society) in the Binghamton, NY area. STOS was my first orchid society and some of the older members are ones who were there when I first started society membership in the mid-80's. I made the trip 100 miles southwest though there was supposed to be some freezing rain (barely sprinkled); the club buys wholesale (named) orchids in flower, mostly paphs plus a few others and raffles them off to the members. Once every member has won an orchid they auction off the remaining plants.

There were a lot of big paphs some with very large flowers on tall spikes, but I saw the color combination on one masdevallia and was fortunate that most people were dazzled by the big paphs and that my number was an early draw.

Masdevalia Electric Purple (or at least this plant) is a cross of M. Joan Ragan 'Pink Dawn' x M. Celtic Frost 'Purple Ecstacy'. I don't know either parent from their names, but there was this plant/flower with vivid pink/purple with very bright orange highlights, and another one in flower on the same table, that had the same name but was solid white (?!). The club treasurer said that this cross had two color forms that often resulted and they were bright and vivid or solid white.

The color is amazing on this flower; I wasn't able to get the true depth of color; the pink is like a vivid, deep crushed peppermint color which is washed out and white-looking in the picture because I was using a ring light which has strong blue to it and also there was a tungsten bulb in the kitchen light (I have been taking orchid pictures on my freezer since it's the right height). When I managed to get the orange and other colors somewhat close to correct in the image, the background wall looked a bit off. If anything, the colors may be a bit deeper/stronger. Looking at the plant, there are more distinct pink stripes that don't show up as well in the pictures; if the sun comes out before the flower fades i'll try to get another closeup pic

melectricpurple1212a.JPG

whole plant (the original plant/pot was shipped inside a larger pot, and
all plants/pots were shipped in pot trays/holders to keep them from
moving around

melectricpurple1212b.JPG

melectricpurple1212c.JPG

melectricpurple1212d.JPG

Last edited:
Nice!

good luck. keep it near a cracked open window.
This is some good advice. I put my M. Aquarius near a cracked open north window in a clay pot awhile ago and it is finally growing nice new leaves and not shedding leaves as fast (not blooming, does it have enough light?). A cold winter breeze sometime blows on the pot and it is doing well. My only question is: How do you keep it cool enough in the summer?

I also got a species masdevallia (though I think it moved to another genera; formerly masd. impostor) at last month's cnyos christmas party raffle; I was planning on putting any masd's that I got in the future into zeer pots, deep clay pots so that it would provide humidity and keep the pot/roots cool

these orchids for the raffle came from a wholesaler in hawaii, so i'm sure this one has some warmth tolerance

With it parentage this should be able to grow warmer so the key will be humidity and air movement.
I grow my masdies in house temps (so intermediate for the most part) in constantly wet moss. I would suggest bumping your humidity a touch.

This is a good mix of its parents! I like the colours!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Nice flower. I like it. The cross Masd. Electric Purple was registered by Lehua Orchids of Hawaii. They have been breeding for temperature tolerant Masdevallia for some time now, with great success. This cross should be easy to grow under a wide range of conditions. I would definitely not treat it as a cold grower, even though one of the grandparents is a known cold grower, glandulosa is definitely more of an intermediate grower. The rimarimaalba is also an intermdiate to warm grower. M. veitchii when used in hybrids has amazing temperature tolerance even though it is a high elevation plant. So growth this intermediate temps. Don't try to chill it below 55 F or you might have problems. I have bloomed Celtic Frost without the temperature ever dropping below 65 F. The full parentage below.

[coccinea x (veitchiana x rimarimaalba)] x [(veitchiana x strobeli)] x glandulosa]

Key to success with Masdevallia is bright light, near Cattleya bright, rather than in the shade with the mottled leaf Paphs. Good air movement to get air to the roots, and don't let them get bone dry between watering. Don't try to chill them, this hybrid won't like the cold, avoid long periods of night temperatures above 80 F. Day time highs in the 90's F are not a problem if it cools at night. They do want to get into at least the middle 70's F at night, though the 60's would be ideal.

I had a stretch of about a month where I could not cool the light garden below 80 F this summer. The lights just put out too much heat. The outside air never cooled enough. I lost many masdevallia, but the ones that survived all had either veitchiana or infracta in their ancestry. Celtic Frost was a survivor. Oddly I had one clone (out of 5) of Heathii (coccinea x veitchiana) that survived with minimal leaf burn. So you have a hybrid with good potential to tolerate Phalaenopsis temperatures.

I love the colors, good find.

Latest posts

Back