Live from Tokyo

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone that knows me, will know my answer. I'll all over that armeniacum 'Super Cool #2'. The micranthum fma eburneum 'Hideki' is darn nice as well. Not to mention the great Fumis Delights that were on display. It's easy for me to say but I think you should get both the Super Cool and the Hideki. I just love both the these species.

I think if I went, I'd get dizzy!

It is a bit overwhelming Dot :rollhappy: Back before the recession Fukuoka City used to have a "mini-mega" show patterned after Tokyo, and even that was pretty amazing.

That's what I keep telling myself. :)
$ was significantly stronger a couple weeks back.
JC

Yeah, it has been an interesting couple weeks. In late January it was pegged at just around 120 y/d and then down it went, bottomed at 111y/d on the 8th, and now is back up over 114y/d today. Fun in the markets.

Great photos! Maybe some day I'll make it there...

In another Facebook thread I saw a photo of a plant labelled Paph. glaucophyllum fma. album 'Super Cool'. Did you happen to see that plant? If so, could you tell if it was a true glaucophyllum album or a moquetteanum?

Ah you picked up on it! All the Westerners, including me, were saying "where are the f****** flowers.
Once the red/white edges of the foliage were pointed out, I did appreciate the beauty of it.
Also, I think such color forms are rare in bulbos?
JC

I'm not a Bulbo fan but that japonicum foliage! Also the Neos of course...

I had a close look at that flower. I don't think it is a moquetteanum. In person it resembled a primulinum but that's kind of what a glaucophyllum album would look like. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish similar species when alba. And I am not an expert in taxonomy.
The plant originated with a reputable grower. Perhaps there is a picture of glauco alba in the recent alba Paph book?
JC

Great photos! Maybe some day I'll make it there...

In another Facebook thread I saw a photo of a plant labelled Paph. glaucophyllum fma. album 'Super Cool'. Did you happen to see that plant? If so, could you tell if it was a true glaucophyllum album or a moquetteanum?

There were two nice ones in the species display that originated from TON breeding. Without getting closer to them they were hard to rate.

Machan has a very dark line of breeding coming. Sorry I forgot the parents. I believe an early seedling of those crosses are shown in the other thread. Clonal name "Darth Vader" with really saturated blackish petals. I debated whether to buy it to combine with our lines of breeding. But I was too late. I mentioned to Machan that I would like a blackish one out of that line. He has quite a number in spike, so we will see soon.

JC

How are the roths this year?

There were two nice ones in the species display that originated from TON breeding. Without getting closer to them they were hard to rate.

Machan has a very dark line of breeding coming. Sorry I forgot the parents. I believe an early seedling of those crosses are shown in the other thread. Clonal name "Darth Vader" with really saturated blackish petals. I debated whether to buy it to combine with our lines of breeding. But I was too late. I mentioned to Machan that I would like a blackish one out of that line. He has quite a number in spike, so we will see soon.

JC

The really black petal ones like darth vader are coming out of bion x MM, unfortunatly the ds is a little narrow but colour is exceptional

so what was the grand champion?

i saw on the TON website a huge green complex took some kind of big award.

General question here... how much of a pain in the ass is it to get orchids back to the US from a show such as this in Tokyo?
Thanks
JAB

I am bringing plants back as I write this.
It is not easy. Lot's of paperwork, inspections, waiting etc. It all has to be correct.
And then there is the risk you will lose them due to one perceived problem or another.
However, the paperwork is absolutely necessary, unless a person wants trouble. Being arrested is not out of the question.

Unless you have a very special interest, it is easiest to buy plants in the US.

Flasks are easier.

JC

General question here... how much of a pain in the ass is it to get orchids back to the US from a show such as this in Tokyo?
Thanks
JAB

Thanks
JAB

For a hobbyist, there is 12 plants rule, I believe. So if you are carrying <=12 plants with you, and if you are going through one of 15 designated airports, which can inspect plants, you don't have to have the import permit as long as the vendor can provide phytosanitary certificate and CITES export permit. You do have to declare it at the custom. Well, import permit (PPQ-587) for non-commercial use is free, but it takes >1 month to get it.

see 3rd question in this APHIS FAQ.

I have never done it, and in reality, there could be complication as John indicated, but this could make it easier in case you are traveling abroad and see a couple orchids which you gotta have. APHIS rule seems to change quite a bit, but Alfonso Doucette (Pleuro systematist) successfully used this rule recently to bring back a couple orchids to the US through Miami customs (it was discussed in FB "The Pleurothallid Alliance" group). I contacted APHIS office about CITES App. 1 plants (Paphs), but I didn't hear back from them. I wonder if this 12 plant rule works with Paphs.

Latest posts

Back