Inherited 5 paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h_mossy

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just inherited 2 Paph. rothschildianums (Green Valley x Dou Fang); both are 19" tip to tip, and one has 3 fans. Next, I have 2 Paph. sanderianums; one is 21" tip to tip, and the second one is 20". Last, I have a Paph. philippinense x Pap. sanderianum; 14" tip to tip with 3 fans. I don't yet know the grex for the primary cross. Apparently these have been in s/h and rather neglected for about 4 years. They have grown slowly, but apparently the s/h was fine for them. I have repotted in s/h since it apparently works for them (else they would have been long dead), but I don't know much about feeding needs, or light levels. I'm guessing somewhere between Phal and Cattleya light. These don't appear to have ever bloomed. I don't have a clue what they look like, but I'm going to look them up.

Any help/advice/culture tips would be appreciated.

mossy:wink:

WOW! This website logs me off super-fast. It appears I will need to log in each time I need to reply, even if I posted just minutes before. This has never happened on any other site. Strange...

Anyway, I've looked up the primary, and apparently it is called Paph. Michael Koopowitz, and has those long spiral petals like the P. sanderianum. I don't really know the health of these plants yet; they are a medium green, and the P. sanderianums are very slightly mottled, and the P. rothschildianum and the hybrid all have no mottling, and have faint lines running parallel the the length of the leaves.

I didn't used to like any of the paphs, but I will see if these 'grow' on me. I went through all the paphs and phrags on the "Orchidspecies.com" website, and of the paphs, the only ones one I actually kind-of liked are in the polyantha sub-genus. Of the Phrags, any that looked similar to Phrag. caudatum were OK. I didn't like phals before, either, but after growning a few I began to like them. I hope this Paphs will do the same.

I have no idea what these would normally cost, I got them free so I have no loss only gain. (I hope - crosses fingers)

Yes, I get kicked off also, if I'm not active on it after a few minutes. I don't know why that happens, either.

It looks like you like the long-petaled slippers, which tend to be multi-floral. Good taste, I think. And if you stick around here, you'll find your appreciation of slippers growing exponentially! :evil:

If blooming size these are quite expensive. If award quality, maybe even more valuable.

I don't know if they are blooming size. What is blooming size for these? And even if they were expensive, I don't care; I'm growing these for the experience just to see if I can. My most expensive orchid is a vanda I paid over $700 for. Is is a rare form/color of a certain species. I'm pretty sure these would not be near that range.

Yes, I get kicked off also, if I'm not active on it after a few minutes. I don't know why that happens, either.

It looks like you like the long-petaled slippers, which tend to be multi-floral. Good taste, I think. And if you stick around here, you'll find your appreciation of slippers growing exponentially! :evil:

My favs (and they probably like cooler temps than I have here) are Paph. dianthum, Paph. parishii, Paph. kolopakingii, and Paph. praestans. The ones I just acquired are OK, but P. dianthum and P. parishii would be at the top of my list. I still find them borderline 'ugly' but there is still something intriguing about them because they look so bizarre.

Last edited:
There is a box to check when you b first log on, to stay logged on. The forum pus a label next to your screen name based on the amountil you post.

You must mean the 'Remember me' box; that's the only one I see. Mine says 'Bloom', which is fine. I'd prefer 'Bloomin' idiot' or something like that. It is more fitting.

OK, I see what I can do. (why do your names have 'Awarded Stud' following them?

Now, I'll go read the 'posting photos' section.

There is a box to check when you b first log on, to stay logged on. The forum pus a label next to your screen name based on the amountil you post.

You can also change your own sub-name: go to your name in the members list, click on the sub-name and change it.

OK, here are some pics.

Group photo, and tape measure open to the 2 ft mark. Top left - smaller Paph. sanderianum; top right - larger Paph. rothschildianum; bottom left - smaller Paph. rothschildianum; bottom center - larger Paph. sanderianum; bottom right - Paph. Michael Koopowitz.
Paph. group

Comparison measurements.
Smaller Paph. rothschildianum - I'm unbending the leaf.

Larger Paph. sanderianum

Paph. Michael Koopowitz roots

So... are these blooming size yet, or not?

Last edited:
The multiple growth plants are blooming size
Even the little one, the Paph. Michael Koopowitz? Is it something with the plant having multiple growths?

How large does a Paph. Rothschildianum need to be?

(thanks, by the way)

Oh, just remembered a culture question. Are Paphs planted level with the media, or slightly above or below?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back