Inherited 5 paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, as some philipinensis can be small. Though I wonder if this is really MK. Maybe st swithin or phillip x something else?
Interesting to know. It was the only one without a tag; just a verbal telling me it was Paph. philippinensis crossed with another species with long spiral petals that she thought was Paph. sanderianum. Whatever it turns out to be, it has lines running the length of the leaves, just like the Paph. sanderianum. How obvious would it be if not that cross? Also, how would an average Paph. sanderianum or Paph. rothschildianum look, and what is considered a good one? :confused:

the sandy may be worth a couple hundred.
I would have expected the ones from the named cross to be worth more than one with only the species on the tag, with no mention of the parentage. I still don't get why some Paphs. tend to be pricey, but I really don't know much about paphs. I was never too taken with them, but a free orchid is still a deal. ;) I would just like to see them bloom once.

:poke: What are the paphs you folks refer to as 'bulldogs'?

Last edited:
Bulldogs are complexed hybrids with a shape similar to Paph Winston Churchill.

Many of the pricey ones are quite rare in cultivation or they take quite a while as in several years to bloom from seed.

I think they look pretty darned good.

I would be jumping for joy if I inherited those plants. Especially the sanderianums. Blooming-sized plants are expensive. Low propagation rates and 10 years to bloom from seed? Yeah.

Thanks for the info/advice. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I used to think that Phals were ugly, but after growing my first one many years ago, I gradually began to like them.

I read a couple of reviews of the Hansen book - very informative. I guess orchids bring out all types of odd characters. I'm partial to certain types of vanda orchids - especially if scented (species and a few primary crosses), but I don't know if I'd be tramping around jungles to add to my collection. To me, paphs are fascinatingly ugly in a bizarre sort of way, but I'll accept the challenge to get them to bloom - plus I'm curious about the growth and development of the inflorescence, to the point of the final appearance of the blooms.

I think they look pretty darned good.

I would be jumping for joy if I inherited those plants. Especially the sanderianums. Blooming-sized plants are expensive. Low propagation rates and 10 years to bloom from seed? Yeah.
You would be jumping for joy - because you know more about these than I do. I have moderate experience with other types of orchids, and have seen a few paphs at shows. They were like an odd alien presence - mysterious creatures best seen from a distance. That was the extent of my experience with them. Until now...

I don't know how most people start in with paphs, but it would seem that I've now crossed that bridge, and I will cautiously forge ahead, and try to avoid hidden pitfalls. I appreciate all your help in doing so.

Ive not had success with semi-hydro but you're doing great. They will need to be much bigger to flower well (esp the roth) but might flower in the next 12 months.
"happy roots = Happy plants"

You have a good resource in Hw. Quintal Farms.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. They are on a different island, otherwise I would just drive there for a visit.

I have called and left a msg. No response. I have since then called back 5 times and always get a recording saying their hours are Monday through Friday 7 am to 3 pm.

So far... zip zero nada

OK, now that Quintal responded, I can provide some feedback to this post. I hoped it would be positive, even if they didn't have what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I can't do that; instead I have to be truthful.

The lady that answered (she didn't offer her name, just that she was from Quintal ). She returned my call within a reasonable amount of time, and said that she was calling back because I mentioned in the message that this was my 2nd call. It was more than that, but it was only my 2nd message. I was hoping that at the very least, if they didn't have what I was looking for they could provide some leads to those that might. I told her that I was on Oahu, and that there didn't seem to be much here in the way of paphs I was looking for. When I mentioned that I was looking for a few different paph species and primary hybrids, she said that they were wholesalers. I asked what was the minimum order, and she said 30 plants with a minimum of 4 of each type. I was going to ask if they had some that were not listed on their site, but I never even got that far. She quickly said that there were orchid shows on Oahu, and I should look there. I said that I was aware of that and was a member of a few clubs. I have noticed in the past that sometimes a website has sold out of a listed plant, or may have others that were not on the website because they take some time / effort to keep the site current. I was going to ask for specific types, but the short, clipped responses thus far sent me a very clear message that they were not interested in my business, and that they were doing me a favor just by returning my call. I have purchased more plants than I want, just to filll out an order, and I usually get multiples so I can choose the best one to keep, and give away the rest. Bottom line: they don't know me. They don't know if I am a small customer, a big customer, or perhaps someone that might even direct a future customer their way. Well, after that phone interaction, that ship has already sailed. These folks give the impression that if you can't make money for them, and right now, don't bother taking any of their time. The woman was not outright rude, but there was not a warm and friendly tone to the call. Instead, the impression I had was that my call was just a bother and that she couldn't get rid of me fast enough. Very disappointing result. :(

I have long memory. If I have influence to where to recommend the clubs go, or where they purchase plants for giveaway or prizes, I will certainly steer clear of those that appear to be bothered by a potential customer. :cool:

Ive not had success with semi-hydro but you're doing great. They will need to be much bigger to flower well (esp the roth) but might flower in the next 12 months.
"happy roots = Happy plants"
My cyms and terrestrials seem to do well in s/h. Just use a very weak fert solution from what is recommended on the label, and not to let the roots pack in too tightly. I've had some cyms actually split a few pots because there was just too many. If you don't catch that quick enough, you may lose all the liquid and not even be aware of it. (mine are outside, so I wouldn't notice a puddle if a pot leaked).

Last edited:
Oh yes, I know that sort of telephone calls. I too live on an island and sometime it is quite obvious that vendors think 'take it or leave it'. As there are no many place to go - if any - they know they are king of the hill.

But there is internet, and there are postal services. Takes longer, you don't see what you buy and it is always a bit of a bet, but at least you deal with friendly and willing people...

Oh yes, I know that sort of telephone calls. I too live on an island and sometime it is quite obvious that vendors think 'take it or leave it'. As there are no many place to go - if any - they know they are king of the hill.

But there is internet, and there are postal services. Takes longer, you don't see what you buy and it is always a bit of a bet, but at least you deal with friendly and willing people...

Well, in addition to limited local sources we have other 'hoops to jump through' to get the Agriculture dept to allow entry to a plant coming from out of state. So it is even more difficult because of that. I was hoping at least that they could direct me to some of the customers they sell to locally.

Sorry to hear you had such a not nice experience with QF, good luck.
I guess their business is doing so well that they don't need any more. I could have been a customer as far as they knew, but the attitude was dismissive from the outset. Oh, well. It was worth the try.

Back