How's the weather?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you live in a subtropical location!?!:poke:

Yes, that is true, or nearly so. This part of Kyushu is definitely temperate, but not far from places that come close to qualifying as subtropical. It is an odd climate caught evenly between the influence of the vast Asian mainland and the even more vast Pacific Ocean. Under these conditions oddities abound, including subtropical plants and temperate plants living in the same environment.

At this low elevation most of the snow has melted already or will very soon, while the mountaintops can remain covered for a week or more, especially their northern aspects.

Here's a video of the garden this morning. In it you'll see a range of plants, notably epiphytic ferns and orchids, plus a lot of other stuff.

Snowy morning in my garden

Last edited:
Amazing video! Thanks for posting it.

The weather here has been okay. We got a little more snow. The news (accu weather) is predicting a high of 4F on Sunday and a high of -6F Monday! Have to love the cold to live around here, haha.

great over here. 23ºC, nearly to no wind, sunny, sparkling blue sea...
The other side of the coin: no orchid vendor over here!:rollhappy:

right now it's sunny (which is unusual) and 14˚F/-10˚C (which is more usual for this time of year, here. forecasts are for still chilly and spats of snow here and there

That's really a show Tom!!!! All those epiphytes in the snow! Are they used to it every winter? And the Camelia bloom is great, it looks like a very strong plant!!! Jean

Let´s see. About 78 when I got up, but 86 now. Dry season, clear skies. Think
I´ll go up to the mountains roday.
Eat your hearts out! Panamá is paradise!
Seriously, I hope the cold up there doesn´t do your collections any damage. It is always warm here. Probably too warm. This is summer here. It will get to about 90 before the day´s done, but there´s a breeze, so it´s comfortable.

Absolute scorcher again yesterday - 41.6oC (107F) with gale force winds. Hottest January day ever recorded here and just short of the all time record (42.2oC). It was horrendous. Still I could have been in Sydney where it was 45.8oC (114.4F) which is the highest temperature ever recorded there. With still 6 weeks to go, there are going to be a lot of records broken this summer.

Thankfully today will be a little cooler.

That's really a show Tom!!!! All those epiphytes in the snow! Are they used to it every winter? And the Camelia bloom is great, it looks like a very strong plant!!! Jean

Hey Jean, actually this year has been fairly average. The plants in the video have lived in my garden for 6+ years, so they all are accustomed to these conditions. Camellias are pretty tough and C. sasanqua is the only flowering shrub here that blooms throughout the winter months.

it was supposed to be nasty and snowy this morning; cold front moving through and big gusty winds was supposed to drop a few inches in a very short time, so I canceled plans to go play basketball and a binghamton orchid society meeting; I don't think I saw one flake of snow outside the window all day, though it was very breezy

* although I just looked at my desktop weather forecast and radar and it showed a lake effect snow warning until tomorrow morning for this area, and could get 7-10 inches of snow in some areas :rolleyes:

now -6 to -9F, depending on which desktop weather icon you look at (brrrr) and the sun is out, so it will 'warm' up to 10F today :) .
went for a walk at 8pm yesterday when it was 10F out and there was a facial breeze; had to zip up my hood and walk with my face down some until I got to the halfway and turned back... have to wear my full ski mask next time if that cold

today is around 0C and they say after a few days it should be go down to -20C wind from russia is comming .....

Let's put it this way....I had a tooth extracted. They didn't give an ice pack to hold against my face...just told me to walk home. But, the calm 12 degrees this morning still felt better than the windy 19 degrees yesterday.

Latest posts

Back