plant import permits freak me out

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i regret everyday not reaching out to hadley to buy divisions when he was still around. i was informed that koopman's would provide the export permit (1-3 months), but that the buyer needed a plant import permit AAAND a protected plant permit. the permit process really freaked me out. especially the big bold fines highlighted at the end of the application. seeing how i am new to the permit process the margin of error is quite high so i ended up backing out. can anyone share their experience with acquiring import permits?

Last edited:
Hello, happy growing

Personally, I don't have import permits and others, but try to get them, here in Vzla, more or less I would spend in getting the permits about 14.000$, it includes from registering the nursery, to the supervisions, and other processes with different ministries and other problems of corruption and under the table deals....

Anyway, if this is how it is in Vzla, I don't know how it will be in other countries like Peru (and its trauma with the stolen plants “Kovach”).

Anyway, even if you had the permits in my country, the plants would be “kept in quarantine” (stolen).

I don't want to traumatize or discourage you, I hope in your case it's just to sign a paper and buy like crazy XD

I've imported plants, and with an import broker and proper paperwork all went well. The last time I did so was probably 10 years ago. The broker literally stood watch for the plants as they arrived at the airport, couriered rather than by post. He worked them through the inspections and overnighted them to me. Easy, but fraught with paperwork and not inexpensive.

Proper and copious paperwork (in triplicate), a broker and using a courier. If I ever do this again I'll follow this model.

Unless things have drastically changed since my last import, it's not that difficult. As a hobby grower, you get a free permit from APHIS, and they send you labels with your ID printed on them. You send a couple to the vendor, for inside and outside the box.

The vendor must come up with a CITES and phytosanitary certificate - that is the most costly and time consuming part of the process - likely charged to you.

The package is shipped by EMS and when it arrives at a port-of-entry, the label gets it redirected to the APHIS inspection station. If the paperwork is good and plants are clean, they will Express Mail them to you at no charge.

Most vendors won't take the time to get an export CITES and phyto, even for large orders, it is just too much hassle for them.

I also heard you as the customer would need to order a import CITES from USFDA along with the APHIS label. However, I reached out to the USFDA directly and was told they don't need to issue anything for orchids.

Most vendors won't take the time to get an export CITES and phyto, even for large orders, it is just too much hassle for them.

I also heard you as the customer would need to order a import CITES from USFDA along with the APHIS label. However, I reached out to the USFDA directly and was told they don't need to issue anything for orchids.
The USFDA has nothing to do with orchids, they regulate food and drugs. You need to consult the USDA (APHIS).

The USFDA has nothing to do with orchids, they regulate food and drugs. You need to consult the USDA (APHIS).
I know, that's what I said 😅. I'm just repeating what one international grower told me which was not true.

I don't think the USDA issues any import CITES documents.

If importing to the US, the only thing you need from the US government is the import permit. CITES certs are issued by the government of the shipper's country, as that is a confirmation that the plants are nursery propagated and not wild collected, something the USDA cannot confirm.

If importing to the US, the only thing you need from the US government is the import permit. CITES certs are issued by the government of the shipper's country, as that is a confirmation that the plants are nursery propagated and not wild collected, something the USDA cannot confirm.
The CITES license is required forIor commercial shipments. If you intend to sell or barter the plants you need the CITES license to protect yourself in the future. And if you are importing CITES Apx1 species it think you need it regardless.

Back