Hung Sheng plants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Multi Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my order from Hung Sheng via Let's Talk Plants today. Mixed thoughts on the process, ordering was a pain as the importer initially did not want to honor their posted sale prices until I insisted and provided screenshots of their own emails detailing the offer. The plants are small but seem healthy. Shipping from the importer to me was nothing short of larceny lol, $40 for a small priority box and the plants were still packed in the importer's bundle with no consideration for the hot weather on my end which I made the importer aware of last week. Not a terrible experience overall, but I think I would be more inclined to directly import flasks or plants in the future, import permits are simple enough and I could definitely get more for the money that way.

Attachments

• 20190530_121228.jpg
    20190530_121228.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190530_115012.jpg
    20190530_115012.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190530_115250.jpg
    20190530_115250.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 77
I wish you good luck. I have visited Hung Sheng Orchids and have bought some of their plants in the past years. Most of them cannot thrive healthy. Even some paphio guru in Taiwan faces difficulties in growing their plants good.

The reason is: Their environment and water quality is too good for the plants to adopt another environment, which is inferior in comparison.

The plants look fine... let's hope that Camellck's gloomy prophesy isn't fullfilled! We'll know in the the due course of time. Keep us posted - and the best of luck with the growing!

Btw. would it be possible for you to provide us with the names of the individual plants presented?

Kind regards, Jens

The plants look healthy, but I think it may be more economical to import them myself rather than using a third party next time. One way or another I'm sure I will end up with more Hung Sheng plants in the future. Here are labeled pics:

Attachments

• 20190601_125428.jpg
    20190601_125428.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190601_125333.jpg
    20190601_125333.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190601_125350.jpg
    20190601_125350.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190601_125122.jpg
    20190601_125122.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190601_125259.jpg
    20190601_125259.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190601_125154.jpg
    20190601_125154.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 40
Yea, it seems that Lets Talk Plants also over prices shipping on their E-bay plants as well.

I bought a handful of Phrag seedlings from them on ebay a while back and I don't remember shipping being out of line, but I'm pretty annoyed that $40 got me nothing but a priority box that would have been around $8 to ship. $40 would cover express mail and a cool pack and still leave some change in their pocket.

Thanks for sharing Tony! I was curious how the shipping and quality of plants would be when I first heard about this. Wish you all the best luck with them, they appear to be in good shape!

The plants look healthy, but I think it may be more economical to import them myself rather than using a third party next time. One way or another I'm sure I will end up with more Hung Sheng plants in the future. Here are labeled pics:
I think small seedlings will be better to adapt new environment. I used to bought NBS or BS plants but usually bought me nightmare on maintaining the strength of the plants.

Thanks for the naming of your loot!

I think, I would have been pretty annoyed (to abstain from the p-word - as in p..... off) myself concerning the postage... From your photos to judge not much effort could have gone into the packaging - so the price really can't be for handling the plants (p&p)... Your description of the whole proces in your first post doesn't exactly leave a pretty impression... maybe the postage ploy was their way of getting the profit, they wanted, out of the deal, after you insisted that they kept to their first advertised prices?!

Last edited:
maybe the postage ploy was their way of getting the profit, they wanted, out of the deal, after you insisted that they kept to their first advertised prices?!

I had the same thought. In any case Hung Sheng did their part and sent some clean healthy plants that I'm happy to have so I can't be too upset. I made this order a small one just to test the process and see how the plants turned out, when I'm ready for a bigger order I'll just get my own permit and deal directly with HS.

Tony,

1) I am not sure, but perhaps the shipping reflects (including) the commission for the person who carry the merchandise from Taiwan to the US show (not just the shipping inside the US )
I ordered directly from Hung Sheng before , if I remember correctly, the commission for the carrier was 50.00 (I have to check the record of past communication, but I don't think that number includes the shipping from the show.) Did you confirm with Let's talk plants about the shipping charge? in my case, ordering directly from Hung Sheng, I gladly add the carrier's commission since he carries the flasks personally , this way the only tumbling of plantlets are just the enduring with the internal US shipping.
2) on the issue that the package is still in original chinese news paper wrapping, I remember his add mentioned the plants will be bare root shipping, if you want the option is 5.00 extra per plant to repot by them before sending to you.
Did you order them with repotting or just as bare roots. If you do not request the service with 5.00 addition per plant, then it is beneficial for let's talk plants and you that they did not open the original packet and repacking again. (God knows, they could breaking or damage something, or mix up orders when open things) I am sure they don't want to touch the original plants , I would venture to say that way if something is wrong, when you contact them ,they will be able to go back and make a claim with Hung Sheng that the problem start with the original Hung Sheng package. Frankly, I would prefer receive the plants originally wrapped . We all repot our plants any way.
3) For the saving of order directly, you will have to check the full price of Hungsheng plants with Formosa Orchids (also carrying/growing Hung Sheng plants) or Hung Sheng themselves then compare with the introduction discount price you get with Let's talk Plants , to see if you gain any saving or not.

Last edited:
I wish you good luck. I have visited Hung Sheng Orchids and have bought some of their plants in the past years. Most of them cannot thrive healthy. Even some paphio guru in Taiwan faces difficulties in growing their plants good.

The reason is: Their environment and water quality is too good for the plants to adopt another environment, which is inferior in comparison.

You were right in your prediction, four of the six dropped dead and another is struggling while the rest of the plants around them thrive. I'll definitely go for flasks over seedlings in future dealings with Hung Sheng.

A bunch of STF members put together a large (over 100 plant) order. I ordered a lot of exotic album hybrids. They were too small and none of mine survived. If you go for full sized plans you have a better chance (from experience) but you have to pay more.

Latest posts

Back