Paph. Hung Sheng Golddollar, P. druryi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
picture uploading
Paph. Hung Sheng Golddollar. This plant came as a bonus plant. I never would have bought it, because I'm not very fond of the shape or one coloured flowers.
This is the second time it has flowered and the lip has been off centre one way or the other both times. It kind of reminds me of Jimmy Durante though.
picture uploading
This is the same plant with a second bud.
picture uploading
Paph. druryi, I am always surprised at how small this flower is. I guess seeing it in books where all the pictures of different flowers look the same size sets up an expectation that lasts a long time.
picture uploading
This is the second year for the plant to flower. It expanded readily, but seemed to have to reach a certain size before it flowered. It is also the last plant to flower this season for me.
Don

They're both pretty. I wish the shape on the Hung Sheng Golddollar was better, but it sounds like an interesting cross. And it's always nice to see a druryi in bloom.

It was the same for me. I'm not too fond of the proportion of the plant size to flower size on this species, but the flower sure is very unique and add good colors and pattern on the hybrids.

By the way, do you treat this any differently than say, bulldog hybrids during the winter? I think I read high light but cool temperature throughout the year but especially in the winter.

Yes. Very well grown. Any culture you can share?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
The plant is potted in the regular fine bark, small sponge rock or perlite and fine charcoal. Top dress with a good sprinkling of oyster shell. Outside from the middle of May until sometime in Sept. in the basement under lights until the middle of May again. Fairly high light. I water heaviest in June and July and driest from Dec. through Apr. The rest is what I call moderate.Dry for me is every 7 days, because under they lights things dry out fast.I fertilize every 8 days from May trough Sept. and 28 days from Oct. through Apr. Except no fertilizer in Jan. The 8 and 28 are numbers that happen to fit my personal fairly arbitrary schedule. I am the kind of person who has to fallow a strict schedule. I can't just walk by and say this needs watering or that needs watering. I hope this helps. If you have questions or it's not clear feel free to ask.
Don

Great looking druryi. Nice species and yet I to am giving it another try. It have a nasty habit of rotting if managed wrong.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back