How about them Mets

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, my mom was a typical loud mouthed, scream her head off, cursing loudly judgmental Mets fan (she grew up in Atlantic Highlands, NJ and commuted daily to Manhattan in her early twenties, before moving to Va)...but she easily forgot all the woes when they went on a win streak and showed promise. She could tell you about the entire 69 season ( and the woeful Mets before then, the comparisons to this year and the recent past are incredibly similar). She was really good at telling stories and she had lot of them. She died back in March and one of the last conversations we had was her excitement thinking this would be the year for them. I am not saying Mets fans will forget 2006-2008, such a let down but one game isn't going to ruin the current trend. New Yorkers I have met and know are like anyone else, they just want a good story and what is happening right now with the Mets is a really, really good story

I remember watching the 86 mets series when I was in college, lots of guys in the dorm from that area so lots of excitement. One guy had his lucky chair and he jumped around so much it started falling apart, but he had to sit in it til the end even if it was a pile of sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember watching the 86 mets series when I was in college, lots of guys in the dorm from that area so lots of excitement. One guy had his lucky chair and he jumped around so much it started falling apart, but he had to sit in it til the end even if it was a pile of sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funny

I was on a repair tender in the middle of the med during the world series..the only Mets fan on the ship, we pulled into the dock the day after game six, I immediately called my mom to get the details...her voice was pretty hoarse from all the screaming and yelling. I didn't even get to see end of game six until youtube came around

Yeah, I know so...Mets are in sole possession of first place ..Mets fans aren't going to care about some outlier game that precedes a four game winstreak (BTW, Mets won 12-1 today)... And if you didn't hear about Wilmer Flores .. Then I question that you even live in NYC
No question that I live in NYC, born and bred and still living here. However, if the Mets blow it, you will see how NYC fans react!

No question that I live in NYC, born and bred and still living here. However, if the Mets blow it, you will see how NYC fans react!

yeah, I know (but thats a whole season not one game)..I have seen it before ...lots of Mets fans everywhere (I think there are probably more NYC people in the diaspora than in NYC)...and the NY press is the worst. One of the reasons I think the Mets players have difficulties playing there.

Everybody has trouble in NYC. THe fans will tear you apart the minute you fail. Very demanding. Also, there is so much else going on here that a lot of the 8 million people couldn't care less about the sports teams. In general we support any NYC teams, but a lot of us are not really fanatics!

Everybody has trouble in NYC. THe fans will tear you apart the minute you fail. Very demanding. Also, there is so much else going on here that a lot of the 8 million people couldn't care less about the sports teams. In general we support any NYC teams, but a lot of us are not really fanatics!

no doubt, but they also will love you to death if you show some emotion ( as in most places, you should have been in seattle in Feb, it was armegeddon ) ..as was displayed on friday night..Wilmer Flores broke out in tears on wed night when he learned that he was being traded..the fans gave him two standing ovations while he was still playing...two days later on friday night, when he played again, he got four standing ovations and then he got a standing ovation from mets fans in miami last night...that 8-7 loss on thursday night was quickly forgotten. This actually made non sports news, people I know in Seattle who don't follow sports read about it. Yes, the skepticism is still there and if they fail, they will hear about it. If that 8-7 loss had been followed by more losses , yes, that game would have been remembered by everyone as the nexus...but it didn't happen, so back to your original statement ..."I don't watch much pro sports, but especially not a team that blew a 7-1 lead!"..it's all about context..and your statement was a few days too late

Hey, I was a Mets fan when they were the biggest loser
in the league. Fair weather fans...harumph!

They need their fan core, (I am a fair weather seattle fan), but I follow the Mets every year and have since I was 3 years old (1969) (as much as a 3 year old could)..I have some recollection of my mom being excited which made me excited. I see them in Seattle when they rarely visit. They have a great farm league pitching coach with their pacific coast league Las Vegas 51's, Frank Viola. Syndergard, Matz, Wheeler have spent time down there. I dont know what he's doing but the talent coming out now after playing there has been phenomenal...offense is important but you can easily trade for that ..pitching dynasties are much more difficult. The Mets future is looking really good

ehanes, if you watch baseball with a hot dog and a score
card, you're my kind of Mets fan! Nothing like sitting in the stands
and getting excited and biting the score card and trying to write
on the hot dog. I've done it and nobody even noticed. ;>)

HA!!
used to do that as a kid in Norfolk, Va watching the Tidewater Tides (Mets farm club in the eighties) ..I loved the scorecards and was crazy about hot dogs...not so much as an adult. I do watch every game on the internet though where I have access to all the stats in real time...i eat burritos now

One of the workers in my office is a hard-core Mets fan. Goes to all the games, wears the gear... i stopped being a pro-Sports fan when I realized that when I any NY team live, they lost.!! :( I have not watched a game in at least 5 years.

One of the workers in my office is a hard-core Mets fan. Goes to all the games, wears the gear... i stopped being a pro-Sports fan when I realized that when I any NY team live, they lost.!! :( I have not watched a game in at least 5 years.

yes, Eric ..we all know it..you are cursed!

It could be worse. My wife is a Cubs fan... Talk about cursed. The Black Cat curse, the Gatorade Glove curse

Wise choice Eric! You are now not allowed to watch or go
to a Mets game. You think that's why they're doing much
better????

Many years ago there used to be a mobile hot dog vendor that
set up around Wall Street and made the very best hot dogs in
the world. Loved that man and his cart!

No problem, I can get CD's if they win the World Series! :) My main office is a couple of blocks from Wall street but I avoid the Exchange area due to all the security and tourists.

Latest posts

Back