Happiness is...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's cool!

I was about to say that looks like a place in Florida I saw some Sandhills at, and then saw that you are in Florida.:eek:

The cranes seem very unconcerned.

Someone said that Sandhill Cranes -- the flocks of juveniles, can be very destructive in farmer's fields, but the mating pairs are no problem.

What's the size of these flocks? I've never seen more than a half dozen or so together at a time.

They pop up near me in Tennessee too, but never have seen more than 2 in a field at a time.

On the other hand I've seen flocks of hundreds of Canada geese on a field, and can imagine that could end up a mess.

Happiness is...

Going on a trip to the German Eifel tomorrow to see and make pictures of European Orchids :D

Hello Rick.
The cranes appear to be paired up. With and without young.
Far and few between. Since Saturday, seen total of six adults, two juvies. Have 900 miles on rental car. These are uncommon in Jersey(home).

Hello Dot.
My stalk started about 300ft. away. The last 100ft. took an hour. As silly as this sounds, when the birds seemed uneasy, I would mimic behavior.
This included throwing pieces of vegetation in the air. When the grass was flying, they went back to preening themslves.
The day before we thought two birds were exibiting courtship behavior. Good learning lesson for me.

It was a killer evening. Can't remember the last time I puddled up.

Happiness is...
shooting feral hogs and otters (feeding behavior), back to back.

got otter, in the exact same footprint as sandhill cranes. thumbs up!

Happiness is...
Writing an editorial or other piece in l'Orchidofilière (The Orchid File) and being told by people that's the first thing they read when they receive the newsletter of the Montreal Orchid Society. :D

I hope my sci-fi novel to be published next year will do as well.

Michel

Happiness is being on the beach in South Florida in January !!!!!!! :) and seeing Sandhill cranes in FL ! We saw them coming out of Orlando from our hotel, they were right smack dab next to high rise hotels and sidewalks . ....and on the way back along I-4 at a rest area !!!!!!! No pics though...I could barely blurt out what they were, I was so surprised at seeing them. Didn't see Clark doing his imitation of a Sandhill though....darn !

Last edited:
What's the size of these flocks? I've never seen more than a half dozen or so together at a time.

They pop up near me in Tennessee too, but never have seen more than 2 in a field at a time.

On the other hand I've seen flocks of hundreds of Canada geese on a field, and can imagine that could end up a mess.
As an ex-soccer referee, I can tell you that after the geese have been by, the fields look like they had been overrun by a huge pack of small dogs!

Back when I was the "ISO 9000 Guy" for a large chemical company, I used to travel to a plant in Seagraves TX - near the bottom of the panhandle, about 80 miles from NM - that was in the flyway. Come October, there would be 15,000-20,000 sandhill cranes out on the peanut farmland. Talk about impressive!

Happiness is...

pulling up to Audubon's Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, and having the first sapien in contact say "Is that Clark???"

My wife could not believe it either.

I'm jealous...we didn't make it to Corkscrew this year...how was the birding??

Hi Gilda!
Better than last May, as we got to see the Painted Buntings, Barred owl, numerous short tailed hawks. Best to be there at 7 am. Pm me if you get down that way, got some better spots.

Happiness is...
shooting gators and crocs in the same hour. Free chase, of course.

Latest posts

Back