Any golfers?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it!!!!! Visited my friendly Golfsmith store yesterday and demo'd the TM R-11, the TM -Superfast 2.0 and the Callaway Razr Hawk. After 45 minutes of hitting balls, the results of the launch monitor showed the R-11 was the most consistently long and accurate of the three drivers. The Superfast 2.0 was slightly longer. but the cone of dispersion was wider (less accurate) - and the Razr Hawk sounded strange. I bought the R-11 and traded in one of my wife's old Adam's drivers for a $50 credit, so the whole thing was $ 349.95plus tax. Now I have to get used to that white head! Keep tuned in for next Thursday's performance of this beauty during an actual round of golf.........

Sounds like a great choice! I tried the ladies' TM Superfast...the extra 2" made it really wild. I felt I had no control over the ball flight at all. Being only 5'2" might have a bit to do with that though. :rollhappy: I tried a nice Cleveland driver too and it was awesome; however decided to stay with my current TM Burner for this year as I didn't feel right spending money on a new one when my current one is only a year old. At least you had good reason to buy new. :clap:

I felt the same way when I demo'd the TM Superfast 2.0 - the longer shaft was definitely hard to get used to, and it was not as accurate (at least in my hands) as the R-11. It's also interesting that the R-11 I demo'd had a neutral set-up, while my old R-7 was a "Draw" driver. When I asked the saleman to set the R-11 up in a draw configuration, he advised to hit it a few times in the neutral mode just to get some idea as to ball flight. Good thing! My ball flight w the neutral set up R-11 turned out to be a slight draw! Distance appeared longer than my old R-7 , but only by about 5-10 yards, so I'm hitting it approx 240 yds w a slight draw bias (5 yds left of center) for a total distance of @250-255 counting the roll. I am totally stoked! The Fujikura Blur 60 gm Reg. flex shaft is awesome.....Can't wait to take it out to the course Thursday.

Got out for the first 9 of the season!!!! It felt awesome to be playing again. The course was in pretty good shape even if it did still have a few snow drifts. Of 27 holes only one had a temporary green because of snow. Hopefully we can get out again this week...our first tournament is three weeks from today and we need practice. :D

Sounds good except from the snow:mad:
- Watched the Houston Shell Tournament
Lefty was awesome - I hope he will be even better at Augusta this weekend can't wait to watch it.

My first tournament next weekend in a scramble so not much at stake
Weather is excellent in France right now - they expect 20°C this weekend
yeah !:drool:

Got out for the first 9 of the season!!!! It felt awesome to be playing again. The course was in pretty good shape even if it did still have a few snow drifts. Of 27 holes only one had a temporary green because of snow. Hopefully we can get out again this week...our first tournament is three weeks from today and we need practice. :D

Played my first competition of the year

Matchplay scramble - and me and my teammate played all square against two 14 handicappers
Weater was excellent 25°C and high sun - yeah !

Played my first competition of the year

Matchplay scramble - and me and my teammate played all square against two 14 handicappers
Weater was excellent 25°C and high sun - yeah !

Awesome! Sounds like you had a great day. Steve and I got out for 18 yesterday; we had a bad game but we can't complain after having the winter off. It will come back soon enough....hopefully in time for our first tournament.

Just finished watching The Masters. What a game. I was glad to see somebody new win. :clap:

THis morning I Went to l'Isle Adam, a golf 30 Km north of Paris with one of my golf buddies
- weather was slightly overcast and close to 18°.
Excellent 18 holer with big slopes and a few water hazards -with well maintained and well defended greens - a wonderful place !!
the picture is blurred
Golf%20de%20L%27Isle%20Adam.jpg

Ahhh...I love the sight. It must be nice to have a longer season than we do. I can't really complain though as I do get out lots.

Our first tournament is in a week. I hope to be able to do stroke play or match play sometime this year. Not many women seem to be competitive so I'll have to search for that kind of tournament. Most everything is a scramble...it is fun playing as a team though.

I'll have to remember to take my camera one of these days.

Hey Tom....I talked with Sam at the Orchid Show yesterday. He said I should come down for a greenhouse tour and then we could all go out for a round. Now I should really work on getting my passport so I can make the trip.

hey upstate ny has tons of relatively cheap golf courses, and there is bloomfield orchids/marlow orchids to the west of here and piping rock orchids to the east; plus a few slippertalk members around. If I had people to play golf with I might more often! (though hard to do in spring or during the native orchid/picture season) I miss the days when I worked on a golf course, played an average of five days a week and had hardly a care in the world ... (sigh)

Feh...I despise golf courses...they are responsible for huge numbers of native orchid deaths in Florida as more and more swamp and hammock gets cleared so some tom-fool can yell 'fore!'. Not to mention the eutrophication and general poisoning of nearby waterways from all the fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides used to keep the courses that sickening, boring green color.

Personally, I don't have a problem with one golf course per so many miles, but when you drive down a ten mile stretch of road in south Florida and see five country clubs/golf communities/etc. during that stretch, it's clear that this is out of control. If the golfers had their way, you would be able to play one very long round of golf all the way from the Florida Keys to Pensacola without ever stepping off a green.

I think the ultimate irony is that most maps show golf courses as green....same color used for parks, state forests, etc. How insulting to our intelligence!

---Prem
www.flnativeorchids.com

Ummmmm...not sure how to or if I should respond to this. Kind of puts a damper on our friendly golf game thread.

I play way up here in Canada so know nothing about Florida courses. We don't have courses back to back. Our courses have protected areas that we are not allowed to enter, even to retrieve a lost ball. I enjoy golfing...heck I'm even addicted to it....and I will keep playing as long as I am able.

Funny enough - in europe its often the other way round . Golf courses often gathers wild life (frogs - fish - wild birds - you name it) so from that perspective golf is more than beneficial to the environment.
For instance at my golf course there's also wild terrestrial orchids so in other words there's more to golf courses than meets the eye

It's very much the same here. If you are lucky you can see foxes, deer etc right on the course...north of here there are places that you must take a cart because of bears. I know the maintenance staff is also restricted on the use of pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers. Landscape cannot be altered randomly when new courses are built either....they must bring the Ministry of the Environment in to make sure nothing is changed...waterways etc.

I grew up with my Mom telling me how usless golf and other sports are and I certainly don't appreciate hearing it from others. When she starts harping on about it I tell her to go out and try it/find out about it before ripping it apart. :mad:

As an add on....Steve and I are competing in a scramble this Saturday and we are forecast to get 25-35mm of rain. Good thing we have rain gear! :clap: We've been trying to get out to practice but it is so cold here right now and any days the temp goes up it rains. :sob: Wish us luck...we're going to need it! LOL!

Sorry to hear about the weather here its summer before summer
played my first competition last sunday played like a sucker and lost another
tenth in my handicap couldnt get it right
this saturday Im off to Manilla again gonna try some new courses there

at the golf course where I used to work, I actually found three colonies of pink ladyslipper orchids, plus quite a few other somewhat rare wildflowers. there are robert trent jones golf courses in upstate ny where he was purposefully creating a course that would fit in with the natural environment more than many courses that pros might play on. there were tons of ducks and geese on the course, I saw a family of wood ducks early one spring, lots of red fox tons of birds including bluebirds, deer, turkeys and many other interesting critters and plants. too bad we had lots of drunks and rednecks playing there :(

Latest posts

Back