Any golfers?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky you! I have a push cart but I really enjoy it....except having to push it up a steep incline. Good exercise though.

Steve and I are playing again tomorrow. I was hoping to get out one last time on Monday as well as it is supposed to be 13*c but they are calling for rain as well. The middle of next week it looks to be dropping close to freezing so I'm afraid that tomorrow's round may be our last for the season. :sob:

Good luck in your tournament! :clap:

Check out this course.... www.wildwinds.ca I think I may be joining this course next year. It has a really competitive Ladies' League. Being with skilled players is a great way to learn and get better....plus I am very competitive. The course itself is fabulous and the greens are like playing on a carpet...awesome! Can't wait for spring now!!!!

Did not find any pictures of the colf but the score card looks ok - they've 5 par 3's and only 3 par 5's which makes it a bit easier - can't figure if there's any water hazards.
I guess its outside the Quebec region ?- a friend offered me a book on golfs in Quebec - if this one is a nice as the ones I saw in the book then go for it!!

Yes there is water...some of the shots are tricky to avoid it. The greens are well guarded by bunkers as well. I've ended up in most of them at one point or another.:rollhappy: About half the course is parkland style; the rest is links, with lots of fescue and hills. I never realized that the site didn't have photos....the ones that appear at the top of the page are of the course but it's a shame they don't have more. If you ever get over here in your travels Steve and I will take you out for a game.

thanks a bunch for the invite !

Same goes here just north east of Paris - may I suggest spring or Summer:rollhappy::rollhappy:

http://www.golf-meauxboutigny.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77&Itemid=130

Yes there is water...some of the shots are tricky to avoid it. The greens are well guarded by bunkers as well. I've ended up in most of them at one point or another.:rollhappy: About half the course is parkland style; the rest is links, with lots of fescue and hills. I never realized that the site didn't have photos....the ones that appear at the top of the page are of the course but it's a shame they don't have more. If you ever get over here in your travels Steve and I will take you out for a game.

Played 12 holes this morning - temps below zero but weather was nice
lots of ice in the roughs - probably last time I'll go out before december and if its gets colder is definitely a no go can't playwith cold hands :clap:
view on hole 9

27112010183.jpg

Wow, thanks for the link...and the invite. Beautiful course! Lucky you to get out to play. Steve and I were planning on going out tomorrow but as of right now we are having a snow storm...most courses pulled the flags yesterday. :sob: It's supposed to go back up to 10*c on Monday but something tells me we're out of luck until spring now. I'll have to pacify myself with trips to Golftown and play on the simulator at Hosel Rockets. Not quite the same but it will have to do until the weather turns nice again. :(

Here you go....Golftown. http://www.golftown.com I like to go and browse and try out new clubs in their simulators. They have great clothes and accesories as well.

currently in Manilla - fortunately I get to play quite a few rounds here and fees are really cheap. temps are around 30°C and 75% humidity -

this is from the Manilla Navy golf - nice 18 hole par 70

navygolf%20resized.jpg

Looks like a nice course, and the temperature sounds perfect. I was able to visit one of our heated outdoor driving ranges yesterday to see whether I could hit balls pain-free ( I had surgery on my left hand on December 1, 2010 and was told not to try hitting full golf shots for 6 weeks). Well, yesterday was exactly 6 weeks, and I had a great time; hit about 20 balls with an old Taylormade Burner 6 iron, and found I was able to improve my average distance by 10 yards compared to my Ping G10 6 iron. Best of all, no pain! Our season normally starts about end of March, so by now, my regular foursome is really chomping at the bit to get out. Thank God the PGA tour season has started, and we are able to at least watch the game on TV.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Nice looking course! You are one lucky guy! Like Tom, our season doesn't start again until the end of March/ first of April. I am SO ready to start playing again NOW. A friend and I are going to an indoor Sim shortly to play a game but it's not quite the same as the real thing.

Glad to hear your surgery worked out Tom. So are you going to sell the Pings and pick up a new set of Burners now. :D (I use Ladies Burners but would love to have Pings, or better yet, a custom set of Titleists. :clap: )

I think we need to have a Slippertalk Golf Tournament. :clap:

Hi Wendy,

I agree about having a ST golf tournament and I know just where to have it. Back in the day, a friend and I would fly into San Jose, CA the Sunday before the Paph. Guild meeting in Morro Bay, and do the following schedule:

Sunday - Fly from Chicago to San Jose; drive to Monterey,CA.
Monday - Play The Links at Spanish Bay, Monterey
Tuesday - Play Spyglass Hill, Monterey
Wednesday - Play Pebble Beach, Monterey
Thursday- Drive from Monterey to Morro Bay.
Friday - Play Morro Bay Country Club
Saturday - Day #1 - Paph. Guild All Day.
Sunday - Day # 2- Morning Session @ Paph Guild followed by golf at MB.
Monday Morning - Fly home to Chicago

I propose we get all the ST'ers we can find who play, and follow the above schedule for our tournament. The only problem I can see is the combined greens fees would be about US$ 1,200 ;=)

Last edited:
:drool: Tom, I'd love to play all those courses. Wow....must be awesome! Maybe when I win the lottery. :sob: What's it like playing Pebble Beach? I heard the fee was $500!

Wow sounds like a good schedule -
How many golfers do we have here on Slippertalk? anybody knows?

Wendy,

Playing Pebble Beach well depends a lot upon whether the wind is blowing hard enought to effect play. If it is, it's very difficult; if it isn't, it's like any other course - except a lot more scenic. The greens fee at the time we played it was $ 425 incl. a gas cart, but if you stayed at The Lodge, you could save $ 75. We never stayed at The Lodge because the cost at that time was still over $ 400/night !

The one disappointment I had was that the condition of the course was not as good as I expected; a lot of divots in the fairway landing areas, and greens that were pretty slow. I think the reason why is the course gets a tremendous amount of recreational play - like thousands of rounds per year and closely cropped greens don't stand up well to heavy traffic.... The Poa anna greens look like they're diseased most of the time, but they're not. Also, Poa anna grass plants grow in whorls, so it's not like putting on bent grass. The grain is much more apparent on Poa anna, and effects the ball quite a bit compared to bent grass greens.

Sorry for the length of this post - you can tell I've been golf-deprived.

Thanks,

sheesh, I started reading that list of golf courses and the dollar signs started ringing in my head! if you had lunch and a lemonade at those places I'll bet that would ring the total up to an even $2k :) maybe we can have a fundraiser for those of us who want to travel out and play those courses but are a little short on that kind of green! :D

I still have my set of wilson staff tour blades I bought back in 1987... though I've gone through different versions of woods. my favorite woods were some persimmon ones (3 and 5 woods) though I used an old taylor made driver back then. I have a bullseye putter where the head keeps turning on the end of the shaft so I have to realign it occasionally to the grip, which sometimes makes me curious if I have my putts lined up in the right direction!

Anyone else having golf withdrawals as bad as I am? Watching the PGA and European Tour on TV helps but I want to play too darn it!

Ding, ding, ding!!! Next year's Slipper Symposium is in Orlando... a ST golf outing at Congo River???

:) I worked at the grand cypress golf resort for a winter I think it was 1989; pretty nice but I don't think their greens fees could be had for the price of a paph in bloom unless it was a blooming sanderianum with an fcc! ;)

if you have golf withdrawals, maybe you should start putting on the living room carpet!

Latest posts

Back