Any golfers?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, its golf weather. I'm enjoying it. Finally broke 100....shot an 89 last week. Now to try and keep that going. I regularly shoot just over 100 so it would be nice to score below on a consistant basis. Practice, practice, practice..... (I only started playing last August so I guess I'm not doing that bad.)

Here's the course I play..... http://www.arissvalley.com/ I do play others but am a member at Ariss Valley

Nice golf course !! I see a lot of water hazards !!
so what is your handicap these days?

Played a competition at my local club sunday sponsored by Mcdonalds free titleist pro V1 balls and footjoy gloves! good stuff

Hey, I played for the first time in two years at the course where I used to work. I was going to be nearby at my family's picnic and found out that the club was having their club championship that I used to play in. I signed up for the heck of it, hit a few balls out in the field near the parking lot; did okay in practice. I was supposed to go out in the first group and was 'ready' then was told that the groups were switched and I was going in the last group (a five-some). Waiting for half an hour worked on me a little as all the 'pros' were pacing around... I've played so little that I don't worry about all the details and just try to have fun!

On the second hole a sidehill par four, I hit a great drive and hit the pin with my second shot, getting a birdie! ... expectations went up (unrealistically..) and when I got to the seventh hole, for some reason I four-putted on a two-tiered green from directly below the hole; my concentration went out the window after that and got an eight. Had some tough spots where I'd hit a really good shot then a really bad one; all in all I got another birdie on the back nine but had no pars, and ended up with a 44-46 for a 90. Most interesting fact is that even though I hadn't played at all for a few years and I was in the woods at least five times, I managed to find and play my ball each time and finished with the same ball! that's almost unheard of... I even had to play a left-handed shot out of some saplings so thick it took me a while just to get to the ball so I could try and figure out how to hit it! :p

Had fun, will be back for second round tomorrow. will be hotter, will have to carry more water

Sounds like you had a blast. Hope you did as well today. :clap:

We were in a tournament yesterday (scramble format) and finished at -6 and then had a good meal at the pig roast after.

I don't have an actual handicap as of yet. My scores haven't been good enough to track it but I would estimate somewhere around 27-30 right now. It will be better soon as I have finally started to put together score cards that are nice enough to keep track of.

I shot two strokes worse today than yesterday; there was a nice breeze and I did manage to par a few very tough holes. Problem was my direction was way off and figuring out if I was going to flop a chip shot how far to hit it. I did make some good saves in tough spots (above the hole on banks) and the company was good, so it was well worth it!

mmm pig roast!

Played at the usual summer sundays competition yesterday - weather was excellent ! made 5 pars but then messed up most of the other holes - so I actually just played up to my handicap - which is not that bad-
I find the thing with golf is that you only retain the good things that you did

I just entered an online photo contest to try and win a Nike driver for my son. If anyone is interested in voting for the photo, the link is... http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/48087/voteable_entries and the photo is titled 'New tee on the market' (Wendy Hoffman)

There is nothing required to vote...just click and you're done. Thanks to those that go to view! (by the way....the pic was taken 2 years ago when I had an AWFUL stance! Much better now!)

Season is heading for an end - although there's still a few competitions to come, most are foursome's or chapman - which does not count for your handicap - reached 23.4 so far although my goal is 20.0 for 2010, I doubt that I'll make it
-anyway in France we've had a lousy spring and summer so lets hope that autumn will bring us an Indian summer ;-)

We're starting to wind downw the season as well but like you there are still tournaments to be played. One is in three weeks and then we drive north for three hours to attend another at the end of October...it goes even if it is snowing!

Hubby and I competed in an Invitational Tourney last Monday at a course named Trillium Wood. It was a 2 man best ball....30 teams. We finished at four over (76) and were in the top five teams. The winning team was 2 under. We played awesome! Steve is a good player and I had an excellent game. I was also the only woman in it. :D That'll teach those guys! :evil:

I haven't yet had an official handicap done but it should be somewhere around 26-28. Next year I will get it done right.

Well done Wendy !!
Its nice to be in the top 5 !!
I played in a competition yesterday - the formula was Chapman similar to the 2 man best ball. Last year we came in 5th but this year we ranked 3rd!! the sponsor is a bank so prizes was nice (balls and other usefull golf stuff)

October 10th I'm going to Orleans just south of paris to compete in a charity competition for which I qualified - the thing is that the event is sponsored by the Number 1 french golf player - can't really imaging teeing off with that guy watching me ! !:mad:

Played my first round ever in Hyderabad India, at the boulder hills golf.

As the name says, boulders everywhere

Was told not to look for balls in the deep rough as there might be cobra's

Yikes....cobras! That would be interesting to say the least. Sounds like fun though!

We managed to get into a tournament here on Saturday. Hubby's foursome finished at -2. I got in a group with players who don't play often but we managed to finish at 4 over. :sob: I still won Ladies Longest Drive, Closest to the Pin and Closest to the Keg. The latter was against the men and I put my ball about 2 yards from the target. The weather was horrible....rain and wind all day plus it was cold enough to see our breath. Golfers are crazy. :wink:

Steve and I went out and played a quick nine today....it was only 3*c but felt warmer with the sun.

We also went to the Golftown Demo Sale this morning and I picked up a new Ogio cart bag, a brand new 60* Cobra wedge and some new balls to replace the ones I lose. :clap:

The temps are supposed to get into the mid teens this week so I am hoping to get in one or two more rounds :D before putting the sticks away for the winter. :(

Paphjoint...how did you do in the Orleans tourney?

He he - nice to get some new golf gear - I bought my first electric trolley this weekend - a Motocaddy - going to test it tommorow-
The Orleans tournament did not go very well, played and execellent game on saturday to get a view on the course - but got really things messed up on Sunday -
Weather is still pretty mild here so hopefully I'll be able to continue to play for at least another month

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing another tournament this weekend - still no winter greens here, which is good ! - Electric trolleys are cool - now I can concentrate even more on my game

Playing another tournament this weekend - still no winter greens here, which is good ! - Electric trolleys are cool - now I can concentrate even more on my game

I often didn't play as well if I was using an electric cart; some people would rush so much that they would drive like heck to their ball, run up and hit it, and then sit waiting for the group ahead to get out of the way! Often I wouldn't pay attention as much or get the swing in my head before stepping up to the ball, walking up helped to keep my rhythm steady and gave me time to pay attention. .. though on a hot day it was very nice to save some gas by putting my bag on a cart or hopping on once in a while :)

I think you misunderstood my post- I talked about trolleys - not those electric cars that you rent on golf courses - in Europe they are even prohibited for use in tournaments
Beside you're right those carts are nice on warm summerdays - we just have to few of them here (summerdays)

I often didn't play as well if I was using an electric cart; some people would rush so much that they would drive like heck to their ball, run up and hit it, and then sit waiting for the group ahead to get out of the way! Often I wouldn't pay attention as much or get the swing in my head before stepping up to the ball, walking up helped to keep my rhythm steady and gave me time to pay attention. .. though on a hot day it was very nice to save some gas by putting my bag on a cart or hopping on once in a while :)

Latest posts

Back