Any golfers?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup - pretty cold 3°C in the morning and 7 in the afternoon but we can still play but game quality it pretty hmm... my bag
bag.jpg

(sigh) it's been so long since i've played any amount of golf, that spending around $80 for a lob wedge (or any club) on sale or not, seems very foreign to me! I was pondering whether or not I would be able to remember how to swing ;)

I miss the times when I could get out of work (on the course), and go back and play 9/18/27 holes and often wander around mostly by myself (when not playing skins with buddies or leagues) around the course, for hours at a time and then go hang out with friends over a beer and cheeseburger/fries in the restaurant (and weigh 20lbs less than now). things seemed much simpler back then, though I would never go back (though I wouldn't turn down a free membership somewhere if someone were to give one to me for christmas :) )

long work hours without a very high wage, the need to save for the future, quite high costs of playing 18 holes, nobody in this area that I moved to to play with, and a very high drive to go out and take pictures of native orchids in the wild, which are usually flowering whenever there isn't snow on the ground :)

Charles....what is the approximate cost for 18 in your area? Here is is anywhere from $40ish to over $100. Hubby and I get a membership (unlimited rounds) as I play almost every day spring, summer and fall. That saves us a ton of money. Not suggesting that you get membership....you'd still be short on time.....just curious about fees in your area compared to here in Ontario.

Uri....looks like you're a true Callaway man! Well except for the Cleveland wedges. Hubby has Cleveland weges too....he loves them.

um, actually in central/upstate ny there are lots of golf courses, and some are fairly inexpensive when in comparison to city/resort areas. I think there are still places where you could play 18 for $20 or so, maybe a little more, and of course it would go up from there. I think in the washington d.c. area in the late '80's I played with a few friends at a course in maryland that was $50-60 for eighteen... and that was considered to be a relatively 'inexpensive' place down there at that time. I could get a membership, but time/expense uses are different for me, now; different priorities (car has over 170,000 miles, and I don't really want a car loan unless they offer me 0% financing)

no debt! :)

I've been playing this 'King of Sports' for 66years and have loved every round. The most holes I played in one day was 54 but I was only thirteen at the time. The weather now has a lot to do with playing these days. In Lancashire UK the weather is generally awful of late and only played 6 rounds this year. I now use Cleveland woods and irons, I like my woods to be stiff shafted!! Some brilliant courses here that I used to like to play namely Royal Lytham St Annes and Royal Birkdale at Southport-- I suppose you will have heard of these. Playing these days off 8 and wishing I had my time to come over again. Good swinging to everyone.. Ed

Don't play these courses anymore,far too expensive almost £120 per round!!!!

Hi Ed! Welcome to Slippertalk and our little golf thread.

Yes I've heard of those courses. VERY nice! It would be a real treat to play over there. I've only been playing 3 years.....started when I was 47 yrs old....and I've managed to drop to an 18 handicap. Hopefully I can drop it even more next season. I plan to focus on my game until age slows me down...then build up my orchid collection again.

I play mostly Titleist, with TM irons and hybrids. Hubby plays Adams.

Hi Ed! Welcome to Slippertalk and our little golf thread.

Yes I've heard of those courses. VERY nice! It would be a real treat to play over there. I've only been playing 3 years.....started when I was 47 yrs old....and I've managed to drop to an 18 handicap. Hopefully I can drop it even more next season. I plan to focus on my game until age slows me down...then build up my orchid collection again.

I play mostly Titleist, with TM irons and hybrids. Hubby plays Adams.

Hi Wendy. You've got many years left to get your handicap down and by the looks of your swing that wont take too long--- just a little too wide a backswing and a little too much hip movement on the take off IMO. I played off 1 for many years but advancing years make the body a little less mobile.
Will be 75 soon but still longing for the season to start and pit myself against some younger ones ( 50 plus ) Some of the young ones hit the ball so far that it's further than I go on holiday!!!!
Keep your heads down
Ed.

Good link Dot! I only got 2 wrong.

There are a few courses up here that are still open. We played our last round on Nov 20th....wish it could have been a couple weeks longer. Our Club (Ariss Valley) is having our winter Open House tomorrow. at least we can meet up with 'the gang' for a few hours. Next weekend we're having a charity Euchre tournament....I don't play cards but instead help out with prizes etc. It's a nice Golf Course to be a member at as they do a few things there during the off season to help pass the time more quickly. :clap:

Here is a link to pass the time...... http://www.campus-adr.org/fun/miniputt.swf

Played a Greensome tournament yesterday - lucky with the weather even got some sun .
A bit unlucky with one our lies as the picture shows it - no further comments :rollhappy:
foursomedec16%202012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back