A Scottish Kovachii in Spike

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The seedlings seem to take forever, in my experience. Jerry Fischer tells me they need low light levels. The blooming size plants are steadily dropping in price, and are much easier...

True, they are dropping in price. I picked up my seedling last October. At the time I had been growing Phrags for 4 months and I thought I had best start with cheaper plant for a test instead of dropping a few hundred for one that was blooming size. So far it seems be growing well.

Well done Ted! My kovachii seedling has grown very slowly over the past 5 years, and appears to be about 5 years from blooming. But sounds like you're seedling is pretty happy with you!

LOVE that pouch! I didn't realize there was so much
color inside the pouch...I mean, not to mention the over
all spectacular color and velvet appearance.

I had to bring the camera right up on pretty tall tripod legs, to be able to look down into the pouch with the lens. This is an aspect that often isn't shown in photos with kovachii, as the shape of the pouch conceals that beautiful yellow when the shot is taken looking straight on.

Did you notice the spotty wallpaper inside the pouch itself? That goes right the way around all over the inner surface of the pouch. Must serve some purpose in relation to the pollinator..??

That's a wonderful flower. I love the colour and texture. Great photos, too.

I've been debating whether to get a kovachii for a while, but I keep reading that the flowers only last for about two weeks and only hold their best shape for a few days. Is this true? I really like this species but it's just too big and takes up too much space for a plant that only blooms two weeks in a year. If only I had a greenhouse...

That's a wonderful flower. I love the colour and texture. Great photos, too.

I've been debating whether to get a kovachii for a while, but I keep reading that the flowers only last for about two weeks and only hold their best shape for a few days. Is this true? I really like this species but it's just too big and takes up too much space for a plant that only blooms two weeks in a year. If only I had a greenhouse...

I think the single bloom of mine lasted more than 3 weeks. It's true the shape was better for the first days, but the bloom was stunning anyway for a while.

Latest posts

Back