A Scottish Kovachii in Spike

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you like it..! A note on the colour. To shoot timelapse I realised early on it needs a blacked out room and artificial light. The light bulbs I used are good professional bulbs meant for photography, but even so they will cast the colours differently than ambient daylight would do. But the colour is at its richest when it first opens.

I'm posting another version on You Tube just now. It is slower and shows only 7 days, so it gives a fuller slower view of the bud opening. I'll post the link here in a few minutes.

Technical note: I actually shot the entire sequence with two different cameras. I used a Nikon D3X for the 2nd camera, but those images were slightly overexposed. The sequence you have seen (as well as the upcoming shorter but longer sequence) was shot with my Nikon D800.

My feeding regime has been nearly non-existent. Then recently Jerry Fischer mentioned the little Jobes fertiliser 'logs', and I ordered a bunch in and have started using them. Suits me well that approach.

Anything else you'd like to know?

Could you please elaborate on what exactly Mr. Fischer said about these spikes or did he write anything on this that we could read. I for one am very interested in the general topic as well as why someone who sells his own proprietary fertilizer would endorse something else. Thank you.
Jorge

When illuminated in this way, every flower is a small
miracle and we just don't see the process. It's soooo
beautiful and it made my day too! Thank you so much
Don for so much work.

Jorge, I can't find any email from Jerry mentioning the matter, so it must have been a phone conversation 5 or 6 months ago. I expect every good grower on his scale tries out different approaches. He knew I couldn't easily add his fertiliser, as it meant adding to buckets and then hand feeding. Tough when you have about 100 phrags, let alone all the rest. So maybe that's why he mentioned the Jobes fertiliser sticks. All I can recall is that he said he had found them to be very good.

Angela, I find the results of all the effort in making the timelapse vdeos very rewarding in and of itself, that is to say, even if nobody else viewed them. Nevertheless it is very nice to hear that the video is appreciated by others! The blooms go through such an enchanting dance as they open up.

When illuminated in this way, every flower is a small
miracle and we just don't see the process. It's soooo
beautiful and it made my day too! Thank you so much
Don for so much work.

Wow~ so that's what the Scottish kovachii looks like. ;)

I would have thought it was in the wild if it wasn't for the pot in the picture, with weeds growing on the dirt and all. ha~

You are lucky to live in such a good climate there to be able to grow things well. Your temperature range is ideal for this thing!

Somewhat by chance I came upon this island 12 years ago, and only after moving here did I realise that its climate is about the best one could have in the whole of Europe for growing a wide range of tropical orchids. We avoid the extremes of heat and cold here, thanks to the Gulf Stream. Of course, it does get windy, especially in the winter, and it rains a fair amount, and at the moment it feels like we are in October rather than July, as the Jet Stream has moved south of the UK, bringing only low pressure systems over us from the Atlantic. Ah well... can't have everything, right? Frankly when the sun comes out there's nowhere I'd rather be on Earth. Its a stunning little jewel set in the sea, with circa 160 inhabitants.

Very interesting! You mention in another post about your wife's ice cream business; I think you need an official quality control expert to raise the population to 161 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back