A Scottish Kovachii in Spike

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its probable the minerals supplied in his spring water that gives the pink coloring. When I fed my phrags too high of a concentration of Epson's Salts I got strong colorization of the plants and flowers, esp the "green" Phrags

I bought this plant from a grower in Germany, who had brought the plants back from one of the two certified nurseries in Peru a few months before. He had 50 adult, blooming size plants, the first to legally enter Europe as far as I know. I drove over to get it from him. Have the CITES doc for it too.

I also took this photo at that time (Nov. 2013) with the kovachii alongside a d'allesandroi. Both came into bloom together, right next to each other in the cool section of the greenhouse, so it seemed appropriate to shoot them together too.

Very nice plant. I wonder which vendor in Peru in actually came from? Alfredo or Peruflora. It has great form and color. On the comments about the water. I remember reading about Epsom salts before and I thought I read it was came from an area around England or Scottland from a spring too. Anyone else have any info on this. Maybe your spring does have some much needed minerals that help the plant.

I've just remembered that I shot a timelapse video of kovachii opening up over 12 days, in December 2012. I'm just uploading it to You Tube, and will post a link once that's done.

Here is one shot from over 16,000 shots that comprised the sequence.

I agree with Linus. ST should keep that video on file forever. The color is gorgeous, but that dorsal always
bothers me a bit. It doesn't seem to belong to the rest of
the flower.

Back