A Scottish Kovachii in Spike

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make that 163 if I could get himself back to Scotland. His
place of origin is a ferry ride from Gigha in Kintyre. Charles, you want to share a boat ride???? I know I can
muck out stalls if nothing else comes up.

My wife was born and bred here on Gigha, 45 years ago. She's been running the farm lease from her father, and has basically been milking cows day and night pretty much her entire life. She learnt to ride sitting on a bull. But I digress.

Lately the price she gets paid by the bulk milk buyer of the region has dropped to abysmal levels, and though we had been discussing the idea of adding value by way of making ice cream for some time, frankly in the past 9 months push has come to shove and we simply had to crack on and do this. So I've become an ice cream chef, and I found along the way that there's a lot more to the making of good ice cream that meets the eye. But locals are now raving about our Bramble & Whisky flavour, and that group from Taiwan that so admired the 99 Day China Dragon all seemed to love the Lemon & Lime. Worked hard, at least 25 different recipes and batches, to figure out how to make good Chocolate ice cream, but finally cracked it about 2 months ago. I love our Vanilla the most, personally, but I'm that kind of boring guy. But the new Mocha flavour is fabulous, and several people reckon it will become a best-seller. We're currently investing in converting one of the under-utilised sheds up at the farm into a Production Facility, complete with new panelling, floor, walk-in freezer etc. etc. Hope to be producing on a modest but commercial scale in the autumn, probably by October. In the meantime we are allowed by regulation to only sell to folk who come to our door, but so far we have sold about a thousand small tubs to passersby. If any of you fancy trying some, come on over, we're easy to find once you get to Gigha, which is only 3 hours from Glasgow. Any Forum members that make it this far will be entitled to a free wee tub of ice cream!

Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! I have a number of distant cousins who are/were in the dairy farm industry. One had to sell out entirely about 5 years ago when milk prices in the US went too low. Another has done a similar thing to you and expanded into production but is making yoghurt instead of ice cream. They have found it to be a rather good move and are beginning to build up a bit of a following. An expansion into yoghurt might be worth considering especially since it only has to be refrigerated instead of frozen which might make it easier to distribute.

In fact yoghurt is another thing we plan to make. Ice cream is trickier, but looks to be a better bet around here. But we'll be making both to make sure we are hedging our bets.

Charles, you want to share a boat ride???? I know I can
muck out stalls if nothing else comes up.

Sure! Cows always get outside of the fence and head for the nearest golf course/green and need corralling back in bounds.

I would love to try some of your recipes! I like making ice cream for family and other social events. Here in the 'tell me about it' sub forum we have a 'favorite recipes mega thread, people post their favorites. I posted two ice cream recipes strawberry rhubarb and chocolate strawberry. Neither are commercial level quality though. If you want to keep your recipes proprietary then tips and tricks on how to improve quality etc would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to try some of your recipes! I like making ice cream for family and other social events. Here in the 'tell me about it' sub forum we have a 'favorite recipes mega thread, people post their favorites. I posted two ice cream recipes strawberry rhubarb and chocolate strawberry. Neither are commercial level quality though. If you want to keep your recipes proprietary then tips and tricks on how to improve quality etc would be great.

No idea how to find that thread..!

I have posted a photo of the Slipper Orchid Stew that my wife made last night. Not sure where to put it so I posted it in the Orchid Events section.

Happy to share what I have learnt about making ice cream. But where to put that..?

I noticed yesterday that in fact the spike has 2 buds, the first time the plant has done a double for me..! I'll try to take a pic in the next few days.

Not to deviate too much from the thread, but Scotland IS
a very magical place...faeries, water horses, dark lochs
of imagination and freezing water, changelings and beautiful mountains in the Highlands.

Latest posts

Back