Catasetums & Phalaenopsis & Psychopsis (Log in to view large photos)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
July bloom
Catasetum SVO8123 (Dentigrianum x Chuck Taylor)
This one blooms the earliest, usually as early as February and blooms about twice more for the remainder of the season.
Slight menthol scent. Flowers barely last a few days in good state which is a tiny bit longer than typical Catasetums.
102AB66F-9169-4BA2-B1D4-1AAE716C029F.jpeg

Catasetum SVO8091 (Melana Davision 'Hooray' x Isobel's Sunshine 'SVO'). A mid-summer bloomer for me. Also a repeat bloomer.
Nice sweet menthol scent, but this one lasts barely three to four days before starting to look tired.
F75DD43B-B7EA-4036-B4B6-76E074074427.jpeg

Catasetum SVO 8092 (Chuck Taylor x tigrinum)
I bought this along with 8123 just to see the variation and I'm glad I bought them both.
This one lasts very long in bloom for a Catasetum at almost ten days before starting to fade.
It has typical Catasetum menthol scent.

AB5BB032-553B-4F94-B3E7-40879681BA9F.jpeg

Catasetum SVO 8106 (De Etta Harris 'Green Goddess' x Melana Davison 'Summer Snow')
This pretty late summer bloomer is also a short lasting but smells great while it last in bloom. Fresh ground peppercorn plus some sweet floral undertone to it.
You can see that I like yellow. :)
6BD4D181-8D04-4CCC-84FF-E82DEB9408B3.jpeg

My first Phalaenopsis stuartiana miserably failed after all the buds fell off but two made it!!
I was prepared to see the worst but it is a pretty good one. I love the leaves!! It is prettier than any I've seen in my opinion. :)
E4FCB8CB-1ECD-4E20-96D6-A47BE0F65CFC.jpeg
57BC23CA-D477-440F-A08A-50344B5F0077.jpeg

My second plant of Phalaenopsis modesta.
The first one was rather disappointing but this one does have that grape soda fragrance in the morning til about noon.
The flower is very small but it does have four spikes. I can't wait to see it bearing lots of fragrant flowers one day!

EA50F800-C6EF-46FB-9F2A-D44F29B033F8.jpeg

Psychopsis papilio var aureum 'Canary Cove' AM/AOS x self.
It has been blooming for over one year now. Each flower last for about 3-4 weeks and the next one opens up shortly after.
The plant has two spikes now, one bearing a big seed pod and a bud, and this one bearing a flower and a small bud behind it that is to replace this flower next month.
The plant has been doing very well so far (about two years under my care), but it started to look "funny" since about a few months ago, so that's the main reason why I decided to self this selfing. It also does not seem to be easy to find.
Hopefully I won't end up with all the genetic weaklings and freaks. lol

82734649-180B-4CD0-ACDB-0C196F7D8741.jpeg

Last edited:
HP7, you show here quite pretty stuff....I like your Catasetums as well as your lovely P. stuartiana and the extraordinary Psychopsis papilio var. aureum.👌 also your photos are very nice ones.

Last edited:
Smorgasbord of colors… nicely grown.

Soda anyone?
I really like the scent of Phalaenopsis modesta! I have a feeling that it may not thrive at my warm space. It simply isn't warm enough for it after reading about its habitat. But I'll take what I can get. :)

I have a fondness for the Psychopsis papillio...and your right, the alba version is hard to find. Such a hard working species!
It is labelled as var. aureum. I wonder if an ablum one is the same as this or has lighter yellow color. The sepals on this flower have rather dark dirty brownish yellow instead of clear yellow tone.
Anyway, the selfing did have some viable seeds but not a lot according to what the lab says.
The plant is growing in two directions throwing lots of new roots. I will repot this into a fresh mix (finally!!) and see if the newer leaves will stay clean and free of issues.

Back