A Scottish Kovachii in Spike

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I esp. like that last pic, that nicely shows the modification of shape!!! Pers I like the lovely shape of the 'just open(ing)' flower best!! Jean

Previously I didn't use fertiliser, and the blooms would drop after 18 or 19 days. About 8 months ago I started using Jobes small fertiliser sticks. Sure made a difference..!!

Previously I didn't use fertiliser, and the blooms would drop after 18 or 19 days. About 8 months ago I started using Jobes small fertiliser sticks. Sure made a difference..!!

Interesting. I would have thought that the sticks would lead to a chemical burn.

No, they seem formulated to let a little of themselves off very slowly. All these months later you still see about one third of the sticks I put on top of the pot. It was Jerry Fischer at Orchids Ltd. that first recommended them to me.

No, they seem formulated to let a little of themselves off very slowly. All these months later you still see about one third of the sticks I put on top of the pot. It was Jerry Fischer at Orchids Ltd. that first recommended them to me.

Which fertiliser sticks do you use?

The ones that are called Jobes Fertiliser Spikes for Beautiful House Plants.

Got a good deal on them from Amazon. Probably now have a 3 year supply..!

I tried to find how you water your kovachii in this very interesting thread but is so long ( and I am so lazy!! 13 pages)... Can you tell me if your plant sits in water ? I ask you because it is usually not recommended to use slow release fertiliser when the media is wet almost all the time because the pellets release nutrients to quickly. But it may be different with those fertliser spikes and I wonder if I could use it under my growing conditions.

I tried to find how you water your kovachii in this very interesting thread but is so long ( and I am so lazy!! 13 pages)... Can you tell me if your plant sits in water ? I ask you because it is usually not recommended to use slow release fertiliser when the media is wet almost all the time because the pellets release nutrients to quickly. But it may be different with those fertliser spikes and I wonder if I could use it under my growing conditions.

The sticks sit on the top of the pots, not in the tray or anywhere inside the pot. I water heavily once (minimum) or twice daily. But as I said the sticks simply rest on the top of the potting medium.

The pot sits in roughly 2cm of water.

Latest posts

Back