world's ugliest paph

• Thread starter Eric Muehlbauer
  • Start date
Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

I can't even bring myself to photograph this paph.....no photo could detect the myriad deformities. I excitedly waited (a long time, of course) for a malipoense to bloom. Needless to say, as the bud enlarged, I could already see it was a mess...lots of horns and pimples on the outside of the bud. So now it's open, and it's ghastly. Pimples and horns on every petal, all over. Even the staminode is covered with tiny pimples. Oh...and it has a lousy shape too, on a short stem and no fragrance. I can't believe this flower has any future potential. I can see a single horn or pimple disappearing on the next bloom (although I usually find that once pimpled, always pimpled), but this is way, way to much. So...should I toss it?

I can't even bring myself to photograph this paph.....no photo could detect the myriad deformities. I excitedly waited (a long time, of course) for a malipoense to bloom. Needless to say, as the bud enlarged, I could already see it was a mess...lots of horns and pimples on the outside of the bud. So now it's open, and it's ghastly. Pimples and horns on every petal, all over. Even the staminode is covered with tiny pimples. Oh...and it has a lousy shape too, on a short stem and no fragrance. I can't believe this flower has any future potential. I can see a single horn or pimple disappearing on the next bloom (although I usually find that once pimpled, always pimpled), but this is way, way to much. So...should I toss it?

If you're considering tossing it into the trash, maybe let someone else have a chance with it. At the very least, malipoense has beautiful foliage.

I would keep it for now and give it another chance. There may have been some outside factor which led to the deformity. If it happens again on the next flowering you can always toss it then.

Oh pleease show us! I thinkt that those mutants are sometimes much more interesting than an average and non-deformed plant. If you tell your friends: "Hey I got some paphs in flower. And one is the ugliest in the world" then everyone wants to see the ugly plant for sure! ;)

Give it another blooming to see what if it improves! Otherwise take a picture and send it to Guinness World Records.:poke:

I've never seen actual horns on a pouch . . .what causes this to occur? You have my sympathy.

At least, it's hanging its head in shame. My Enlightened Wings pretends
it's pretty. Now that didn't hurt so bad, did it? We've all had these "train
wrecks" at one time or another.

:) well, it's a species, and it may be searching for new pollinators to perpetuate its genes. If it does so, it has fulfilled it's reason for existence. .... that said it does look rather unlike others of its kind : /

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had it been exposed to any kind of chemicals or changes in watering. That looks beyond what nature would produce on its own. On that note........ewwww!

Back