Paph. Prince Edward of York Bud Watch

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmkl

ST Supporter - from Minnesota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased this plant back in January from Sam at Orchid Inn. It is Paph. Prince Edward of York (sanderianum 'Lady in Red' x rothschildianum 'New Horizon' FCC/AOS). I repotted it when I received it so I could take a look at the roots. I was quite surprised when the bud peeked up a week ago! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Paph Prince Edward of York Bud #1.jpg

Well I have bud lift off! I realize it is not award quality, but given the fact that it is a first bloom plant and it was repotted as soon as I got it from Orchid Inn I'm just tickled that it is blooming.

One thing curious to note is that the length of the petals on each bud are quite uneven. One petal on each bud is an inch or two shorter then the other petal! Can anyone provide thoughts on if this will continue on subsequent blooming or is this a one off occurrence? Maybe due to the repot just prior to sending up the spike?

Paph Prince Edward of York.jpg

By the way there are three blooms. Also the plant is a monster! Bottom two leaves have a 36" spread. The next two leaves up the plant have a 40" spread! I have to take it to my bathtub to water it and it barely fits!

Cross is Paph. Prince Edward of York (sanderianum 'Lady in Red' x rothschildianum 'New Horizon' FCC/AOS).

Nice flowers. Can't help you with your questions sorry as I only bloomed my first this year.

It's not a Phrag though! Maybe a mod could move it to the Paphiopedilum forum where you might get more answers?

Always risky business to repot while in bud or flower. If I were in your shoes, I might enjoy the plant a day or two, then cut the flowers and put them in a vase. This would help the plant in gathering strength growth wise and get more established before the next flowering (I know, it might be tough to 'kill your darling' , but trust me, it's better than to see it really die or take copious time to recuperate. 've seen too many plants completely exhausting themselves on a flowering for which they weren't suited yet...and then just grow back and die).

Well I have bud lift off! I realize it is not award quality, but given the fact that it is a first bloom plant and it was repotted as soon as I got it from Orchid Inn I'm just tickled that it is blooming.

One thing curious to note is that the length of the petals on each bud are quite uneven. One petal on each bud is an inch or two shorter then the other petal! Can anyone provide thoughts on if this will continue on subsequent blooming or is this a one off occurrence? Maybe due to the repot just prior to sending up the spike?

View attachment 40377

By the way there are three blooms. Also the plant is a monster! Bottom two leaves have a 36" spread. The next two leaves up the plant have a 40" spread! I have to take it to my bathtub to water it and it barely fits!

Cross is Paph. Prince Edward of York (sanderianum 'Lady in Red' x rothschildianum 'New Horizon' FCC/AOS).
Weird question about how you water in the bathtub. I have large plastic trays with my paphs and I have to hall those to the sink and water individually. However I thought about it ones just to take the iner tray with holes and put it into the tub. However I was concerned about water getting in the leaf crevices and rotting/ salt biuldup. What do you think
Ps love the flowers and I got one from Sam recently with one giant growth and 2 smaller ones. It is my second biggest leaf span besides my paph Julius that is just a pain to find room for.

I water in the bathtub so I can thoroughly water the whole plant including the leaves. I grow my plants under LED lights on wire carts like you can buy at Home Depot for home storage. If I tried to water them where they sit under the lights I would get water all over the carpet in my basement growing area.

I have never had a problem with any kind of rot or salt build up watering this way. On the contrary, placing the larger plants in the bathtub to water them allows me to thoroughly drench the pot with fresh water which aids in flushing out any accumulated salts.

I water in the bathtub so I can thoroughly water the whole plant including the leaves. I grow my plants under LED lights on wire carts like you can buy at Home Depot for home storage. If I tried to water them where they sit under the lights I would get water all over the carpet in my basement growing area.

I have never had a problem with any kind of rot or salt build up watering this way. On the contrary, placing the larger plants in the bathtub to water them allows me to thoroughly drench the pot with fresh water which aids in flushing out any accumulated salts.
Be careful with run off from one plant to another. UNC did a study with cattleyas and run off. Virused plant watered and run off infected all 5 plants the water ran down and hit. Same should hold true on other genera.

I'm aware of the possibility. Several years ago I tried to lessen my workload when watering my phrags by growing them in boot trays and just putting a couple of inches of water in the trays. One of the phrags failed to mention that they had a cold. It spread to most of my plants. It took me a couple of years to treat and recover those infected but I managed to not lose a single plant.

The larger multifloral paphs that I water in the bathtub are watered one at a time. After each one is watered I have a hose with a sprayer attached to the bathtub faucet and I use that to thoroughly flush the tub with clean water before the next one is watered. Labor intensive I know but I have been following this process for a number of years with a variety of my larger plants with no observed disease spread.

Latest posts

Back