Top 5 starter paphs/phrags

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For Paphs, you can rest assured that most of the easily-grown ones which I would consider good beginners' plants are under $50 for mature plants. Most of them should be in the $30-40 range I would think.

Check out the Maudiae hybrids first. They are all easily grown, inexpensive, common, and come in a wide variety of color patterns. I won't recommend a particular one because there are just too many and they are all very similar. I would also look into delenatii and Magic Lantern (micranthum x delenatii) if you like Parvis - both will bloom and grow easily and are cheap and easy to find. Paph. Pinocchio is a standby Cochlo hybrid that again, is easy, cheap and common. Most Cochlos are equally easy and inexpensive, except victoria-mariae. I don't recommend multiflorals for beginners except maybe lowii because they are slow-growing and can be hard to bloom (I have heard that lowii is a bit easier). There are a number of Paph species I haven't mentioned that are quite easy, such as callosum, insigne, villosum, appletonianum, and apparently vietnamense. Brachys are not generally good beginners Paphs.

For Phrags, look into the besseae influence hybrids first, like Don Wimber, Eric Young, Ecuabess, Memoria Dick Clements... the list goes on. The pink hybrids seem quite easy as well. Species such as longifolium and pearcei are quite easy, and some people recommend besseae as a beginners' plant. Just remember that Phrags are sensitive to high mineral content, particularly some of the species. The only ones I have grown that I consider challenging are kovachii and schlimii.

Many of the plants I would call "must-haves" are not good beginners' plants, but I also wouldn't necessarily discourage anyone from simply trying out plants they like. The best way to learn, I think, is by doing, and although some first-hand knowledge makes things easier, you will likely learn the most from experience. So, my final statement is: Experiment!

My list would be:
Paph maudies types- 1 vini (wine colored) & 1 Alb (light green) easy to get easy to grow and inexpensive.
Paph delenatii - easy to get, lovely foliage, inexpensive.
Paph Pinnochio - inexpensive, easy and sequential.
Phrag Memorial Dick Clements - Get the largest one you can, easy to grow, lots of bright red blooms sequential and multifloral.

OK....for Phrags..
Hybrids:Besseae hybrids (Yeayyy!)
species: pearcei/equadorense (same), even some clones of besseae
Paphs..hybrids: Maudiae types, Pinocchio, complex paphs (if you can provode cooler temps).
Species: haynaldianum, sukhalulii, callosum, insigne (if cooler)
Take care, Eric

hey, just a thought but a few days ago I was reading paphiness' oz report and their sales list, and they offer a 'phrag besseae starter special' (text copied below)

Besseae Practice Pack
For those of you who WANT a top besseae plant, but are still struggling to grow them well, here's a suggestion: get a besseae Practice Pack. We're offering these at $57 for a pack of three plants (probably in spike or bloom), so you can develop your besseae growing abilities on cheaper plants, so you'll be ready to grow a truly exceptional plant!

Shipping will be bare root at $6.50.

A word about flower quality: these plants have been made available because they do not meet OZ flower quality standards. Here is where the adage "one man's trash is another man's treasure" DEFINITELY applies. Some of these plants have dinged up flowers because someone bumped them, or they didn't grow as big as they could have because the worker didn't pot them well or some NON-GENETIC reason. Some of these have fantastic form and color, and could be contenders if they are grown out properly. So not only can you perfect your besseae growing skills, you might also grow up an outstanding, awardable specimen!

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, I think later on he points out that if you want just a single plant, it would cost 23 or 27 or something like that. An Orchid Zone cull is still probably a pretty good plant, and likely it would be flowering or nearly so! :)

Latest posts

Back