Top 5 starter paphs/phrags

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jimsox

Hi there, although I have already begun my collection, I was wondering what some of you may consider "MUST HAVES" for a beginning collector? I grow under lights first off. I want to start right and get the essentials. Please consider, I am not a millionaire, so you know, maybe plants that are $50 and under. I have seen that most are under that price in seedling size, but how about NBS or BS? This way I don't feel like I'm just out there reading labels. I have a habit of that......LOL:rollhappy: Thanks in Advance, Jimi.

See there I don't really know. Let's go with both. I like vini colored paphs. I also like phrags with longer petals, bright reds, and multi's. Is that alot to like or shall I cut that down a bit? I just would like a base. You know? To say I have the basics. I saw a Lowii today in bloom....That's a for sure must have, for me. So any like those would be helpful. I go to Fox Valley Orchids all the time and feel kind dumb, just readin' labels and really having nothing to go off of. Tom Kalina helped me out a little today, but Iwould like to have a list to go in there with and see if he has them. I bought a Phrag. longifolium "Fox Valley" (sib) today in spike and should be blooming in 2-3 weeks he said. I like those "looks" about an orchid. Hope this helps you help me!!!! Jimi

Jason Fisher seems to be a bright red phrag on a lot of peoples lists, but it isn't long petaled. It is a smaller plant I think.
Since you are in the Chicago area, you should go up to Chuck Acker's in Wisconsin ; look for threads with his name in them.
He has some long petaled red crosses. I think they tend to be bigger plants though.
As far as multis, I would go for a phillipinense, thought I only have managed to get one to bloome so far. But they can be smaller (ie manageable) size, and easier to bloom than some of the bigger multis. Another smaller multi is Lyro Blackhawk.

Hybrids tend to be a bit easier to grow it seems.

Other people may have more experience and can comment further.

When I first started buying orchids, I spent hours combing through Paramount Orchid's website and making lists of stuff I liked the look of. Then I'd research the culture for my favorites. Then I'd take the list with me to Paramount and buy a whole bunch of stuff that was not on my list. True story. :D

Joanne, I can sure believe that story! I'm often seduced by the blooming plants, I find.

To try & respond to Jimi's inquiry, I've had several people recommend Pinocchio as a good beginner Paph.

Jo, that is exactly what happens to me, that's why I kinda wanted a pointed list, so I can get some good ones and have a great "starter" collection. you know most of the bases covered. I seem to just go and buy what's in bloom. Not that that's a bad thing. Just wanted to get some basics first. I do like your idea of researching them though. I will try that and see where that gets me, along with a list of whatever suggestions I may get here, I should be off to a great start. Thanks!!!!! Jimi

I too would recommend pinocchio. I started off with one and now I uh...lets just say I have more than one.
They are nice little plants with a pleasant flower. They either bloom virtually all year or for a good portion of it. The flowers also last for a very long time.

Phrag pearcei is a nice greenish phrag that will grow well underlights. Just keep it moist always! click here for my pearcei

Although I don't have one, I would think pearcei crossed with a caudatum type would be compact (like Phrag Betheva) and better under lights than a Grande (longifolium x caudatum). The reason is that pearcei is more compact and can handle lower light. Phrag Mini Grande (pearcei x popowii) was once on my want list too.

Phrag Olaf Gruss (besseae x pearcei) and Phrag Ecua-bess (besseae x ecuadorense) are also very easy compact red phrags. Click here for my Ecua-bess. I bloomed it under fluorescent lighting when I first got it.

Any crosses between besseae, schlimii, fischerii, pearcei, and ecuadorense will be compact and handle flourescent lighting well.

Though I haven't bloomed mine yet, Jason Fischer was definitely on my list for a while, but I have one now. These seems always in demand so the fetch higher prices. Also Scarlet O'Hara (Jason Fischer x bessae) is one I'd like now.

For a paph, a Maudiae or one of its hybrids would be good underlights.

i wuold suggest maudia type paphs. they go from very dark to white and greens. they are a good beginner paph grow fast, are very forgiving as to culture, and useualy are cheaper than others.

Don't hesitate to ask Tom. It sometimes is a hit or miss when it comes to things being blooming size. Oak Hill Gardens is just down the road from you -in Dundee.
Pk and sanderianum or bessea and St. Swithin
HUH? Under $50 ... what size sand or Pk is one gonna get? I think bess is NOT for a beginner, it's hybrids yes.

Jason Fisher seems to be a bright red phrag on a lot of peoples lists, but it isn't long petaled. It is a smaller plant I think.
Since you are in the Chicago area, you should go up to Chuck Acker's in Wisconsin ; look for threads with his name in them.
He has some long petaled red crosses. I think they tend to be bigger plants though.
As far as multis, I would go for a phillipinense, thought I only have managed to get one to bloome so far. But they can be smaller (ie manageable) size, and easier to bloom than some of the bigger multis. Another smaller multi is Lyro Blackhawk.

Hybrids tend to be a bit easier to grow it seems.

Other people may have more experience and can comment further.

I also find Jason Fischer hard, I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner, go with a Mem. Dick Clements instead.
Chuck Acker is outside of Madison, it would take you an easy 2 hours to get up there, but worth it. There's usually plenty in bloom & you should be able to get a plant in bloom for $35.
How about delenatii? gardineri is a compact multi.
Lowii do get to be big plants.
There are all kinds of vini Maudiae types.

While a little more difficult, Parvi hybrids are quite dramatic. There are many crosses that produce flowers of consistently good quality. Among them are Paph Armeni White (delenatii x armeniacum), Paph Magic Lantern (micranthum x delenatii), Paph Lynleigh Koopowitz (delenatii x malipoense), and Paph Christiana Richards, which is a Brachy x Parvi cross (Conco-bellatulum x malipoense).

HUH? Under $50 ... what size sand or Pk is one gonna get? I think bess is NOT for a beginner, it's hybrids yes.

Hello. After reading Jimi's thread, I noticed he mentioned collection or collector
twice. Dollars and collecting have a rather gray relationship. If one is to
acquire 'must have' plants, then the $50.00 plateau should be put aside.
I agree, sand and Pk cannot be bought with the above terms, but these were my first slippers (2nd and 3rd orchids overall). Each seedling cost me
$100.00. My first orchid was a leftover party favor.
They are almost perfect, and, for the first year my guide was a $20 Ortho book.
'Must have' sounds great with 'collector' in the same sentence, but for me,
must have and beginner, does not sound as melodious.
BTW, the Pinocchio I received as a free gift for joining AOS, is a great
beginner's plant, as it is in bloom for 2/3rds of the year. It is a pleasure to
grow while my 'must haves' mature. HAPPY EASTER. Clark

Good points Clark! You make me think back in the first year I had orchids - must haves have changed & back then I collected plants, didn't really have a 'collection'. It's all part of the addiction!:rollhappy:

First of all, I recommend hanging out at slippertalk.com and reading the posts every day. You'll get to see a wide variety of orchids and learn quickly what you like best. Also, buy some books. Koopowitz' "Tropical Slipper Orchids" and Lance Birk's "Paphiopedilum Growers Manual" should keep you busy for a while. Both are available at Amazon.com and elsewhere.

5 beginner paphs?
-Paph. Pinocchio for sure. Easy and blooms all the time.
-Paph. delenatii. Most people find it easy to grow, a faithful bloomer in early Spring, and the foliage is gorgeous year-round. Many clones are fragrant.
-A blooming size multifloral hybrid with roth in its background, for example, Paph. Susan Booth. These can be found blooming size, possibly even in bud, for around $50 or possibly just a bit more. They need a bit more light than the typical paph.
-A complex (i.e. "Bulldog") Paph. hybrid in bud. These can be quite dramatic, and the flowers last a very long time.
-Any "Maudiae-type" hybrid. Oh, heck, go ahead and get a half-dozen or so. They are usually cheap, easy to grow, and may bloom at various times.

In my opinion, that's a nice and diverse starter collection. Depending on your tastes, you can expand from there in whatever direction your interests take you.

Thank you all for the great information. I do realize I did get myself into a sometimes spendy hobby. I was using the term collection loosely. I use this for almost all groupings I see of things over like 10 items. I do have almost 30 plants already, but I just wanted to get some basic must haves. I guess. I am still learning all the terminology and pronunciations (that's hard at first). I will definately do some homework and look into what I am to continue adding to my "collection". I really look forward to learning more from all of you, thanks for your replys and have a Happy Easter!!!! Jimi

I know of 2 sites that are offering compots of sanderianum.
Your already addicted and you don't even know it.

Latest posts

Back