The growing areas MEGATHREAD!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that terrarium, awesome job! I love the waterfall. This makes for a good reason to buy a drilled aquarium. sometimes offered at cheap prices b/c people don't know what to do with them. But I have so many aquariums already, I don't know why I don't have a terrarium! One empty tall 25gal, and one empty 20 gal and one empty 10 gal, and one 70 gal can empty if I don't want anymore fish:)

This is a 70 gal. fishtank, 48" long, 20" deep x 20" tall.
orchidarium001-1.jpg

Hello Rose.
Your microenviroment gets alot of attention here, GREAT JOB!
Could you tell me about the lighting, and also the bulbs you are using?
And the hole in floor of tank- did you drill yourselves or pay a service(vendor)?

Pro job, really love this!
Thank you.
Clark

Thanks Clark & all, we're really enjoying it, wishing I would have done it sooner!
Well ... about the lights ....
it's really hi-tech, whatever was left from what I was using when it was a salt water tank! The bulb says Penn-Plex tri-lux. It is a twin bulb fixture but for the masdies & dracs, I think one bulb will do. Easily half of the plants are showing new growths & some with buds!
There was a glass business down the road from us that drilled it. This aquarium is probably 25 years old. Tempered glass cannot be drilled, it will shatter, so don't run out & get a relatively new one!

Thanks Rose.

In regards to extra breezy fans I got for cheap- a friend is rigging up a box to plug fan into. It will have dial to control fan speed. Over the phone-sounds great.
Will have Saturday.

That sounds great Clark! The one is just perfect for my big tank! My husband made a bracket & it now hangs from the top of the tank, about halfway down. More room for a couple more plants!

Grow Area Update

Snapped a few pictures of my grow area today....

The two tier light stand is new to the room; it used to live downstairs in the basement and was used for starting seeds in the spring. My terrarium/aquarium fits perfectly on it.

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

Yoyo_Jo-
What Psychopsis is that? Looks happy... I've got a P. Mendenhall that I should just throw in the compost heap where it will do something some good- started out as a nice looking plant, now looks like a beat-up seedling. I've got it back on track, now I just have to keep it that way for a couple of years, and I can see it bloom... they have a poor sense of humor when it comes to over-watering!

Choodles - my Psychopsis is Mariposa (papilio x Kalihii). I bought it in October 2008 with a single spike in bloom. That same spike has bloomed constantly since then, and a brand new, much longer spike came out this year and is ready to form a bud I think.

bioanthis - I have some T-12 fixtures and some T-8 fixtures. I think the T-12's are 40W and the T-8's are 32 W.

Dot - they came from one of the home hardware stores here - my hubby originally built them so that I could start seeds and grow house plants on them. The orchids have since taken over...funny how that happens... :D

Update to my growing area:

Revised aquarium plan - a few single growth stonei, cochlopetalum crosses, barbatas, brachys and some terrestrials.
IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5690.jpg

IMG_5691.jpg

Also took down the multiflorals from the metal rack to save hanging space. Just realised that this 'table' I have (previously used to grow some leaf begonias but too hot) is actually suitable for multis. Good air movement and bright shade for most of the day.
IMG_5692.jpg

:D

Thanks! No humidifiers; the apartment stays constantly between 60% - 70% humidity.

I do have a fan running during the evenings.

I wish my beloved would let me take over a room like that. Looks great! What kind of lights are on the wire shelf on the left ? T12 ?

Bill

Latest posts

Back