The growing areas MEGATHREAD!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to find a user forum for ultrasonic humidifiers, and found one person who stated that if a setup has a very small power pack they can burn out quickly where larger ones can last longer. though I would think that with a burned out pack it just would not work instead of burning a fuse, it's a thought. .. though I have a feeling that a leak has developed somewhere that's shorting things out. I have a large, single jet floater for my newer humidifying project, and I hope that it doesn't burn out quickly. I don't know of any sites explaining which units are good or not, or how long they should last (like the use-hours of a particular light bulb)

NYEric, your pm box is full! about the phrags-pics question
sorry, I forgot that I sent clark pics of the flowers and individual labeled pots that the vendor sent me. I can email you pics of the plants that haven't been chosen yet, if you would like or just tell him to send whichever one that's left that he thinks is best

Last edited:
My orchidarium is done!

This is a 70 gal. fishtank, 48" long, 20" deep x 20" tall.
orchidarium001-1.jpg

Forgive the reflection, we have a 12' slider, which made taking photos a bit of a challenge!
orchidarium006.jpg

Left side
orchidarium002.jpg

center
orchidarium003.jpg

right side
orchidarium004.jpg

Wow, Rose. That looks wonderful! I hope your plants are happy in their new home. Can you tell us what plants you have in there? Also, is it set up in your living room or?

This tank was a former saltwater setup, the old wet/dry system, converted to freshwater and now the orchidarium! There's a hole drilled in the bottom of the tank, water goes over an overflow, (which I removed) thru a pipe into the filter,which is housed in the cabinet. There is an acrylic box with different chambers & there's a sump area for a water pump, which pumps the water back up to the tank. I had 2 returns & orginally I was going to have 2 smaller waterfalls, that just wasn't working so I connected the 2, making a spray bar of vinyl tubing with holes drilled at 1/2" intervals. The black backdrop is the window shading film applied to the inside of car windows & then I cut a piece of plastic that's used in flourescent light fixtures. This added texture & showed the water moving better than the water just hitting the black surface & rolling down the wall. There is a valve on the water return so I can adjust the water flow & I can turn the vinyl tube to change the angle of the water. There is water running under all the plants. I cut 1 1/2"rings out of PVC pipe & set egg crate on top, then I got black plastic canvas (hobby store, used for needlepoint), had to hide that stark white & let the water run thru when plants are watered! I had an assortment of neat rocks, quite a bit was pagoda stone, which has a neat layered look, so that formed the little walls so I have a 3" wide stream at the front of the tank. The fan is at the front lower right so I would loose that area to plants anyway. The fallen log is manzanita, a bird perch! There are 16 masdies, 3 dracs, a sophronitis rosea and Eric's pleuro! Companion plants are assorted ferns, an aralia & 2 baby palms. All plants are in black or green pots. This setup is in our greatroom & I was very pleased with how it turned out even though I started over at one point!

Cool. Thanks for the waterfall info. Makes sense. The bottom hole is the piece I was missing. Trickle filters are great- should keep this tank very healthy.

BTW, whatever genus you choose for your pink mini Catt, wittigiana is the accepted specific epithet (not rosea).

-Ernie

....BTW, whatever genus you choose for your pink mini Catt, wittigiana is the accepted specific epithet (not rosea). -Ernie
Didn't know that! I was going by what the tag says, got it at Oak Hill, it was in their cool house so thought it would do fine with the masdies!

Sorry but that one is yours! It should be in spike again. Your set up looks very professional! :clap:
When you first sent it the spikes were new growths but now it has both 'cause they're different looking!:clap: You'll have to refresh my memory as to what it is, I forgot to write it down & tag it. :eek:

Latest posts

Back