Should I get a P. bellatulum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love your 'egg paph' comment!
I haven't been brave enough to try a straight species but I have several hybrids that are probably 75% bella and they've not given me any trouble.

Hi,
I am not an experienced Paph. grower. I have a couple of plants that I got a couple of years ago as "NBS". I've neglected them from the first day but both plants are growing quite happy and pest free. Even one of them is in spike now. I think my conditions are favourable (min temp is 19°C and max tem is 29°C all around the year) but it does not seem to me a Pahio hard to keep alive and happy.

you should definitely get one or better yet get a few. don't keep them too hot at night during the summers, don't keep them soggy wet, and give them relatively high light and they will do fine.

I agree with NYEric, don't overwater. Mine hasn't given me troubles so far. It is in a very small clear, plastic pot with good drainage. I'd say about half the mix is charcoal, the other half mainly bark with perlite.

..... I've neglected them from the first day but both plants are growing quite happy and pest free. Even one of them is in spike now. I think my conditions are favourable (min temp is 19°C and max tem is 29°C all around the year) but it does not seem to me a Pahio hard to keep alive and happy.
Ah HA! That may be the secret - don't pamper them, you'll kill them with kindness! :p:p

I got some of the Nick Tannacci hybrids when the sell-off happened and except for one Matrix all of them (brachy hybrids) are doing Ok. i have them in a lose bark mix in baskets, they are kept drier than most of my Paphs.

Keep us posted on how your plant goes. Would not have been my first choice as a start, but I am intrigued to hear how your bella thrives!

Do it! It's my favorite, so worth the risk. Just don't transplant it much.

I just took the bellatulum off my shopping list for now :eek: I think I'm going to wait until the spring maybe. Still on the list is Paph. lowii, Magic Lantern, Paph. sukhakulii, Paph. charlesworthii and Paph. parishii, are any of the listed good for Paph. beginners?

I just took the bellatulum off my shopping list for now :eek: I think I'm going to wait until the spring maybe. Still on the list is Paph. lowii, Magic Lantern, Paph. sukhakulii, Paph. charlesworthii and Paph. parishii, are any of the listed good for Paph. beginners?

I struggle with sukhakulii but others say its easy:confused: lowii-easy, charlesworthii-easy, parishii, you need to let it dry out from time to time.

Sukhakulii and lowii are easy. (But haynaldianum is even easier than lowii.) Charlesworthii is not easy. Parishii isn't so bad, but it is very slow...may be frustrating for a beginner.

Eric I have nothing but patience, and I have plenty of Phrags, Phals and Catts to keep me going. I was even thinking of gettting a rothschildianum just because of the history, but to be honest I don't really care for it :)

I can't find any haynaldianums, a shame because I really like the look of it

Sukhakulii and lowii are easy. (But haynaldianum is even easier than lowii.) Charlesworthii is not easy. Parishii isn't so bad, but it is very slow...may be frustrating for a beginner.

Many do say that suk is easy but for me it is very prone to go off its roots. Last night at our club meeting someone brought in a suk with five perfect flowers. He said it had been in the same pot for ages (years?), made obvious by the fact that there was hardly any mix left in the pot and what was there was mainly mush!

Latest posts

Back