Should I get a P. bellatulum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Missgreen

I absolutely adore Paphiopedilum bellatulum. I've raised chickens in the past and the flowers reminds me of cute little mottled eggs. I always think of it as the egg orchid.

I've heard very mixed reviews about how difficult this orchid is, some says it's fairly easy, others that it's very difficult.

I'm definitely still a beginner, I always use RO water mixed with a teaspoon Akerne Rain Mix for every 5L of water. My plants spend the summer on my West facing closed balcony, it gets very hot there during the day but it cools of by nighttime.

I have a few different Phrags. which seems to be doing okay but I don't have much experience with Phaps. except I killed a few years ago. I have to hybrids I bought this year, DePerle and appletonianum x wolterianum.

How do you Phaphiopedilum bellatulum owners care for yours?

I'm an experienced grower and they are too hard for me. There is no way they could be considered easy and a good species for the beginner. But who knows, you just might have the Midas touch with this species.

I had nothing but trouble with this species until started growing it S/H (semi-Hydroponics). It's now 7 growths but it hasn't re-bloomed. That is just a matter of time and it will.

I would try but be ready to lose some $$, not the easiest to deal with.

I find bellatulum to be the most difficult of the brachy's. While it lives, it grows well, and produces buds readily. Those buds also blast just as readily. Then at some point...maybe after a few months, or if you're lucky, a few years, it will just die. Although their reputation is for rotting roots, I find that its the tops that die first.

It seems to like really tropical conditions during the growing season min20 and max30C or more. When its growing well and the temps are very high it can take plenty of water. It also likes hot days during winter (habitat can be 90F during winter days!!) with cool nights down to maybe 15 or 12 if drier. But thats from my limited experience with it. I think most of the clones around at the moment are from Thailand which like the above conditions. But according to Xavier (I think) the Chinese (inland) ones may prefer it cooler????

In my experience they seem to like lots of water but then dry out very quickly. I would suggest a media that has at least 30% large(#3 0r #4) perlite and the rest pinus radiata bark. Humidity is also very important. Low humidity = dead bellatulum...

Bella would not be a first choice in the early months of growing, I don't think it is as forgiving as others. If you get it right, it grows easily, but if your conditions don't fall in a narrow range, they sulk and refuse to grow, with each successive growth being smaller than the previous. However, having said that, ...... go for it, you might find your conditions and touch are just perfect for it.

I will agree with the most, I have 2 but one grows nice and the other makes me always trouble. This one I moved in kanuma mix like my micranthum and it seems to revocer, they dont like to much light in my feelling, could only rebloom it once and since that not one of both. Bud watch if the roots are really good when you buy one.
Popow has often really good one and best parents....

bellatulum is, in my experience, the most temperature tolerant Brachy. Cool nights and warm days sound good. As others wrote, a coarse, mostly inorganic mix and a small pot will help prevent rot. Mine are growing nicely in these conditions for about six years now, and occasionally even bloom. Go for a large plant, not a small seedling.

I find bellatulum to be the most difficult of the brachy's. While it lives, it grows well, and produces buds readily. Those buds also blast just as readily. Then at some point...maybe after a few months, or if you're lucky, a few years, it will just die. Although their reputation is for rotting roots, I find that its the tops that die first.

That is all true Eric. I had the same experiences as you but someone here had succeed in S/H so I tried. The plant went from a single, struggling growth to seven! All the same issues, rotting leaves and all. I recently moved it to a larger container for it out grown its Dixie cup, roots were fine. It never goes without water in the bottom.
I do think the low fert/ Klite scheme has a lot to do with it as well.

Thanks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
That is a great looking plant. What's the rest of your culture like?

Thanks! It is grown under four 40-watt fluorescent tubes. Fan is on most of the day. R/O water, very little fertilizer and fill the reservoir when it's empty. For more on S/H growing, see http://www.firstrays.com

e-spice
I highlighted E-spice's secret above in Slate Blue! ( as for mine as well I'm guessing)

My bellatulum is living with me for about twenty years now and we had a lot of trouble. Watering and light has always been a problem.
Since I'm growing it with more shade in cooler conditions in a mix of limestone and some bark it is doing well. And the bottom of the pot is always filled with some water.

Latest posts

Back