Saint Swithin Info

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gego

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry no picture yet but probably this weekend. Just want to ask you guys about the minimum NS and DS of this flower that would have a chance of getting awarded/pulled out. It will have seven flowers, five are open in one spike for now. I'm hoping six will be open and a bud by then. This is an old cross so the bar is probably pretty high. I don't have access to a database so I'm just getting some ideas if it's worth taking this plant to a two hour road trip and a day's off. Some numbers will help.

Num. Flowers 7, Num. Buds 0, Num. Inflor 1
Nat. Spr 21.31, NS Vert 21.29, DSW 4.94, DSL 6.58
Petal W 1.19, Petal L 18.69
Syn Sepal W 4.48, Syn Sepal L 6.11
Pouch W 2.09, Pouch L 5.33

These are the averages for 14 Awards from 2011 to 2015 including 4 HCCs, 8 AMs and 2 FCCs. These measurements are in centimeters. Hope this helps.

Num. Flowers 7, Num. Buds 0, Num. Inflor 1
Nat. Spr 21.31, NS Vert 21.29, DSW 4.94, DSL 6.58
Petal W 1.19, Petal L 18.69
Syn Sepal W 4.48, Syn Sepal L 6.11
Pouch W 2.09, Pouch L 5.33

These are the averages for 14 Awards from 2011 to 2015 including 4 HCCs, 8 AMs and 2 FCCs. These measurements are in centimeters. Hope this helps.

Yes Ted thank you very much.

I'm assuming the units is CM, right? Two questions, to measure NS, do you just let the petals dangle then measure from one tip to the other tip of the petals? How about NS vertical? Is this vertical at 90 degrees or is this from one petal tip to the tip of the dorsal?

I checked last night, so far DS is 5.4 CM, Syn Sepal is wider at 5.5, Petal L is 20.3. Looks promising.

Dorsal is flat but it has the curl on the edges from the phil.

Seven flowers as average is amazing. The way the stem looks right now with seven, an additional one or two would be fantastic.

Your measurements do look promising.

Yes, measurements are in centimeters(cm).

Natural Spread is done across both petals at the widest point.

Natural Spread Vertical would be between the highest point of the dorsal sepal and lowest point of the petals.

If there is some curl on the DS, I would not be too concerned if everything else looks good.

Im excited. I will make more measurements tonight. It does look big to me but I m not very sure.
Thanks again.
I wish i can just take a snap and post here but my phone or service or what ever wont let me post. It says the file is too big.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Seven is not the average. There are misprints in the record that make it seem that way when you average them. There are only two awards I could find with 7 on one stem. 5-6 is the expectation for a decent award. Your measurements look good, as long as the form, color, and substance are there.

Ted, NS is 30.5 tip to tip just dangling. The petals curved down a bit around 3/4 of the petal so if straigthen on both ends it may measure 1 to 2 more cm. I need another hand to do this. I think 30.5 cm is good enough.

Seven is not the average. There are misprints in the record that make it seem that way when you average them. There are only two awards I could find with 7 on one stem. 5-6 is the expectation for a decent award. Your measurements look good, as long as the form, color, and substance are there.

Thank you Tony. I will post a pic sometime this weekend to get some opinion.

I'm afraid to move the plant since the stem holding the seventh flower looks fragile and small yet. I really like this to open. Also the presentation right now is pretty good, two more flowers to open then I will move the whole plant.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37151

That's the first bloom. Flower was smaller but the petals were held nicely. Petals are still held up now but the length makes it droop down a lil bit.

The color is darker too. The form of the dorsal has changed a lot and the sepal is so wide, even wider that the dorsal. First time I've seen.

Enough for now, sorry I'm just excited.

Seven is not the average. There are misprints in the record that make it seem that way when you average them.

Yes. Tony you are correct. The average is between 4 and 5 in that group that I was looking at. So much for fully trusting Orchids Plus features...

Ted, NS is 30.5 tip to tip just dangling. The petals curved down a bit around 3/4 of the petal so if straigthen on both ends it may measure 1 to 2 more cm. I need another hand to do this. I think 30.5 cm is good enough.

30.5 sounds impressive.

I would love to see it. email yourself the photo with lower resolution, then post. Or use postimage.org

Stake the spike.

I will try that. Thanks.

Yes, I just replaced the stake to a bigger rod then extend it with a wooden round stick. It's getting top heavy now and the spike is long about 2.5 ft and growing.

I don't think size is everything with this hybrid. Phillipinense is such a variable species that the St Swithins can be pretty variable as well. You see some St Swithin's in Australia that are highly awarded (AM and FCC) that aren't massive in size but they have really horizontal petals. Personally these are my favourite type of St Swithin's.

Here they are, some quick shots.

5th flower, sixth and seventh on the right. Looks like the 5th is the biggest.

2nd and 3rd flower

First flower and plant

Are there 7 flowers on one spike? That is a high quality clone...definitely awardable. What is the cross?

Latest posts

Back