Saint Swithin Info

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you do this? I dont get being asked. Is there a setting to adjust?

Okay, I see that I'd paid 1.98 or 2.89 for the app, and that may unlock that feature. I'd forgotten that I'd bought the app and if you have the free version might be different (or might be different for different phone type

Honest assessment, based on what I think judges will say. (Not trying to be mean or anything).
Pros:
-FCC flower count
-FCC natural spread
-beautiful synsepal
-good color
-good petal stance (assuming that they will all eventually twist into the position of the bottom three flowers)

Cons:
- The petal width seems narrow to me, perhaps it is because the flowers are so big. This, in and of itself, will not keep you from getting an award (as long as the measurement is at least 1.1cm).
- If the top flowers do not twist into the same stance as the bottom ones, they'll say it's somewhat inconsistent. Again, not necessarily a major problem.
- The pinch in the dorsal sepal, however, is a major concern. It seems that they mature into it. I'm not sure if this flaw is scoreable or fatal, but you'll be penalized heavily for it. This flaw didn't show up in the first bloom, which makes me think it's unique to this inflorescence. It could be that the pinch will flatten into a ruffle in another week, but, if not, they may ask you to rebloom it and bring it back.

I would still take it in, just because it's worth hearing their critique, but, if they pass it and ask you to bring it back when it's older, remember that the standard for St Swithin is VERY high and they screen really nice ones over little problems all the time.

Thank you for taking the time. Very helpful.
Now the pitch, dont know if i understand this term in the form of the dorsal. I know the ruffles at the edges and they are even accentuated here because of the size. They will all mature into this based on the first bloom.
Pitch could be the angle of where the fliwer is facing vertically?if you dont mind, help me understamd, this is very interesting. And thanks for the honest opinion.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

It may take some time for the seventh to open. I would say in another two weeks maby more Notice the fifth has not fully developed yet but its going to be bigger that the rest

Ohhhhh hahaha i need my glasses.
Yes so the pinch , what is it? Hehehe
There's that middle line thats kind of concave a lil bit
Wheres thay pinch in the dorsal?

I agree. It was there on the first bloom but was very subtle. This trait could very well be from the the phil
The sepal is awesome though. I wonder if a big sepal like that would add extra score, its always the dorsal that gets the attention

Damn that is a nice one.

Judging, despite all the numbers tossed around is subjective. Bring it in, you never know what the judges will do. If the head of a team has gas, no award. If the same head of a team just had a great sweet roll for breakfast, maybe everything will get an award. I've seen it happen.

Size is only 10 points. It may be the first ten points, but it is only 10 points.

Presentation is important. Take the time to clean your leaves with a damp cloth. Remove any ugly spotted or browning leaves. Don't use a cobbled together stake, find one that is clean and long enough to do the job. Stake the flower stem so the dorsals of most of the flowers are as close to perfectly vertical as possible. Neatness counts. There are no points for these things, but the care will get a response from the judges in higher scores for the things they do measure. I know a grower, who was only concerned about the flower, showed a paph twice, on successive blooms and got no awards. Went to judging with a friend for the third try. Friend insisted on restaking and cleaning up the plant, he got an AM. Third blooming wasn't as good as they remember the second blooming was, so the difference was how the plant itself looked and the proper staking of the flower stem. No points for these details, but they do count.

Good luck. I would guess this to get at least an HCC, possibly an AM. But the twists and position of petals are not quite uniform enough for an FCC. Visually the petals look a bit thin, which will keep it from getting the FCC. But that would be my guess. Hope for an AM. be happy if it gets even an HCC.

Thanks, Leo. I agree on the neatness. Some judges dont like many clips used.
I cant take off work to bring this for judging but im just very happy with it as is I may bring this to a show and tell. Im looking forward to the next blooming as the next growth is even bigger than the one flowering.
Thanks again, im glad you like it.

Back