rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secundino

Adorable Stud
Reaction score
not rothschildianum - but a multifloral disaster!

It will be a strange flowering time, if it really is going to flower:

36667270232_3ff6cff345_c.jpg

Paphiopedilum rothschildianum by Secun, on Flickr

I won't complain!:)

Last edited:
Unless the unmentionable happens (i.e. bud blast and other nasty stuff...didn't say that, did I? Or as mr. Fawlty says: "I only mentioned the war once...and I think I got away with it!")- it seems that you are going to father a flower...or hopefully more! :)

It will be a strange flowering time, if it really is going to flower:

Is it actually a strange flowering time for Europe? I've had my Roths flower in june as well as november (and that's up here north, i.e. Denmark). Btw. my supardii is at the moment at the end of its latest flowering.

No idea when roth's are going to flower over here, it is my first. I thought the flowering time for northern hemisphere would be from march on; but if it is after the hottest season, it would be now ... in any case, I'm happy that the waiting has ended!

Is the sheath already full or yet empty?

I bloomed several roths what produced the sheath in summer/fall of the previous year.

But it's possible too it blooms this fall. It arrived just one time in my experience and the quality was less good than spring bloom.

Yes, it is full and growing strong, already to see. Comparing to the rest of the plant's growing it's quick!

I hope that the intense light we have over here will help for the quality (if this is the active parameter, don't know).

36186499873_fe1fd0f599_b.jpg

Strong growing, 6-7mm in 24h.

36910995452_2798076442_b.jpg

Rocketing at a speed of 13mm/24h. Five bracts can be seen, on of them is basal, the other ... who knows? And the shadow of the first bud!

36264058604_59bd537ddf_b.jpg

16mm last day - now you can see the spike. I know the growth of a Paph spike can be swift in comparison to the rest of the plant, but it is always a surprise to check it. If you'd asked me, I'd say 'about 5mm a day'!
Anyway, if this growth is pushing up the first flower to a decent hight, I'll be pleased.

Unknown parentage. I got this plant from Regina Elsner in november 2013. It is a first flowering for this plant. If you have any clue which background this plant may have, once its flowers open, don't hesitate to tell!

Today I could easily count four buds/shadows - 20mm of growth from yesterday. Fingers crossed!

The shape of the bracts suggests to me that this plant may not be pure rothschildianum (they have a kolopakingii-influenced look to my eyes). I could easily be wrong. I hope I am for your sake!

36996351176_907121012b_b.jpg

Paphiopedilum rothschildianum cf. by Secun, on Flickr
Whatever it is, four buds for a first flowering is good.

mine like your come from Elsner ,I bought it in the same year and the plant is similar to your. well 2 weeks ago is flowered for the first time ,a very ridiculous spike so I have cut away it.
I hope for the next,but I'm no optimistic.
all the best for your.
bye bye ,Anna

Back