Phrag. besseae 'Cow Hollow II' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaborne

Reaction score
I love when this one blooms and it is one of Chuck's main stud plants. The flowers are nice size and flat as a razor. It has produced some wonderful offspring.

Another bloom

Nice Eron. This was one of the first FCCs given out to besseae?

To date, there have only been 8 FCC awards given to besseae! Yep, this is one of the classics that has been used many times in line breeding, even still today!

Holy Cow that's nice. What are some of the more successful progeny?

Thanks! I guess that's really a question for Chuck as I very limited knowledge of his entire hybridizing history. He has registered over 100 orchid hybrids in addition to remakes. For sure, some of the more successful progeny are remakes of Phrag. Jason Fischer, St. Ouen, Don Wimber, Waunakee Sunset, and Acker's Starlight to name a few. I have personally gotten one of the Acker's Starlights awarded. On his current website listings, here is what he has written about his remake of Phrag. Jason Fischer that is available now: "In my years of Phragmipedium breeding I have made this cross using several different varieties of Phragmipedium besseae. This particular combination using my awarded Phragmipedium besseae ‘Cow Hollow II’ FCC/AOS has produced some of the finest and most awarded Jason Fischer progeny of any crosses!" Right now, he also has flasks of line-bred besseae using 'Cow Hollow II' as a parent. Earl Bailey of OrchidBabies also used it in some of his crosses. Earl particularly loved the Cahaba Moonrise offspring using it as a parent.

Last edited:
Eron, I think the tag is wrong on the cultivar. When I read the title, my mind did not see it as "Cow Hollow II', but as 'Holy Cow!!'.

I think I'm right.

Eron, could a fellow Louisiana resident bother you for a division?! This is fabulous...

David

Latest posts

Back