Paphs in the Greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Ed M

Here's a view of one of my Paph benches, with overhanging Phal species and lots of other stuff. The three obvious Paphs in bloom are a first-bloom Transvaal, a Maudiae 'Magnificum', and an Iantha Stage ...

Lucky you ! A unreachable dream for city people such as me :(
Plants look beautifull and healthy !

Thanks all.

I use lots of fans to keep air moving, keep the greenhouse well ventilated with exhaust fans and I use a "wet wall" so the temperature seldom gets above 85°F. I keep the humidity between 50% and 90%.

I use several types of fertilizers...predominantly Jacks 16-4-20 Cal Mag, but I alternate it with fish emulsion during spring and summer and 10-30-20 Miracle Grow in the autumn, and I've started using Nutricote time-release 13-13-13. During warm, bright weather I use a monthly hefty dose of Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) in plain water and this makes the plants an incredible green color.

I add a small amount pf Dawn dishingwashing liquid to my fertilizer solutions and some of my waterings. This helps break the water surface tension helping things to wet better and it kills off some bacterial, fungi, mites and bugs.

Well I'm going to get another fan, add some epsom salts and maybe increase my fertilizer, or maybe move into the Merkles' greenhouse and call it my own! :ninja:

Here's a view of one of my Paph benches, with overhanging Phal species and lots of other stuff. The three obvious Paphs in bloom are a first-bloom Transvaal, a Maudiae 'Magnificum', and an Iantha Stage ...

I 've never seen such luscious plants.
My orchids are green with envy. uh, actually they are yellow with envy:)

The Epsom Salts totally turns things greeeeeen and helps promote blooming. The magnesium in the Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) is the core molecule of chlorophyll which is continually broken down in sunlight...so magnesium is important for chlorophyll. Correcting yellowing doesn't always call for nitrogen. Plus, magnesium acts as a catalyst for many of the hormone/enzyme activities of metabolism. Apparently its rather ineffective in cool or dark weather, so I only use it when its bright and warm.

I'm jealous! How much Dawn do you add?

Usually just about 2 or 3 drops per gallon, it doesn't take much. Joy works well too, it just depends on which fragrance you like most. I use the regular Dawn.

Thanks all.

I use lots of fans to keep air moving, keep the greenhouse well ventilated with exhaust fans and I use a "wet wall" so the temperature seldom gets above 85°F. I keep the humidity between 50% and 90%.

I use several types of fertilizers...predominantly Jacks 16-4-20 Cal Mag, but I alternate it with fish emulsion during spring and summer and 10-30-20 Miracle Grow in the autumn, and I've started using Nutricote time-release 13-13-13. During warm, bright weather I use a monthly hefty dose of Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) in plain water and this makes the plants an incredible green color.

I add a small amount pf Dawn dishingwashing liquid to my fertilizer solutions and some of my waterings. This helps break the water surface tension helping things to wet better and it kills off some bacterial, fungi, mites and bugs.

Nice of you to give away your secrets! I'll have to implement some of them - especially Epsom salts. Never heard of that - for greening the leaves. I've heard it for promoting blooms on Phals. How much do you use?

Latest posts

Back