Paphiopedilum Saint Swithin X hangianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That is the most outstaning hybrid that I've seen in a long time. Thanks for posting this Olaf!

Me too. I wonder why the USFWS interpretation can't be challenged as restriction of trade under NAFTA. Either by the US vendors being restricted from trading in the Canadian legal orchids or the Canadians being locked out of the lucrative US market by the US's atypical interpretation. Oh well.

Good point! I wouldn't be surprised if a challenge could be filed with Nafta against the US interpretation of CITES as it relates to restricting trade of hangianum and it's hybrids from Canada; but, it probably will never be done because our hobby/industry just isn't important enough for the Canadian government to bother with our issues. Plus, who in the private sector will take on this cause and pay for all the legal wrangling? I certainly can't afford to do that....and I will have hangianum seedlings to sell in a couple years. I sure would love it if the US market was open to me. There's only 34 million people in Canada. There's 10 times that many people in the USA.

Me too. I wonder why the USFWS interpretation can't be challenged as restriction of trade under NAFTA. Either by the US vendors being restricted from trading in the Canadian legal orchids or the Canadians being locked out of the lucrative US market by the US's atypical interpretation. Oh well.

CITES has nothing to do with NAFTA. I'm sure other neighbouring countries have the same problem. Each country interprets the rules differently, and has nothing to do with trade. Don't even get started with NAFTA - the U.S. will only think it is 'fair' when it gets it's way, so if NAFTA was involved, Cananda would get the short end of the stick, so I say just let it be.

It would be interesting, how there were the experiences of Holger Perner in importation flasks and or seedlings to USA, especielly products of Paph. hangianum.
Paph. hangianum was found in Vietnam and also found in China (described as Paph. singchii).
When China gives a CITES for exporting flasks and seedlings of this species and the hybrids also then there would be no problem in the future when USA accept these papers.

But there are also (legal) plants of hangianum in USA which were sold at the WOC in Miami. Perhaps somebbody has made so also this hybrid.

Best greetings

Olaf

i heard the view was that if the plants were being grown by individuals and not being sold, they will not be pursued. if they were in the hands of a vendor, though, they would be prosecuted.
THIS IS HEARSAY. I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE.

ok, but here is where I have kind of a retoric question... how come that "the system" let these "legal" plants be brought into the USA and be sold at the WOC in Miami, but then they are still considered under ilegal status? Isn't it a bit sick?

ok, but here is where I have kind of a retoric question... how come that "the system" let these "legal" plants be brought into the USA and be sold at the WOC in Miami, but then they are still considered under ilegal status? Isn't it a bit sick?

Are you implying that logic has any place in the behavior of bureaucrats? You may need help, because such an assertion is dangerously close to psychosis.

:rollhappy:

Last edited:
Back